I Have a Pupienus!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Apr 7, 2018.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Never thought I would be able to own a Pupienus, but I won this coin in a recent CNG auction. It came in a lot of 13 silver denarii and antoniniani. The description listed a Pupienus as among the coins in the lot and described the overall condition of the coins as "Average Fine to Very Fine." But the coin was buried in the photo. Not sure why they did that since it's in pretty nice shape, but I decided to take a chance on it. I will probably end up selling the other coins on eBay and, hopefully, end up spending around $150-$200 for this coin, which is quite a bargain in my opinion:
    Pupienus2.jpg
    AR denarius
    Rome mint, 4/238-6/238
    RIC 5
    Obv: IMP C M CLOD PVPIENVS AVG
    Rev: P M TR P COS II P P - Emperor, togate, standing, facing left, holding caduceus in right hand and scepter in left.
    19 mm, 3.3g.

The only downside is that when I ask people if they want to see my new coin, I get the rudest, most vulgar comments imaginable. I guess they're just jealous. Or am I pronouncing the name wrong?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Better rephrain from "Would you like to see my Pupienus?" :)

Great coin.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are times it is better to mispronounce a name just to avoid the problem. Don't emphasize the E and it sounds better.

ominus1, alde, Ryro and 1 other person like this.
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Cool coin @gsimonel ! I have a Pupienus on the way that I'm expecting to be able to show off next week. I also didn't think I would get one. What a time - the year of the six emperors! (238)

ominus1 likes this.
  6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Congrats!! It's gorgeous :)

ominus1, Ryro and Orfew like this.
  7. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Funny, an emperor's name that may be mispronounced in several questionable ways... Well, I have this. 2531 Pupi.jpg

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice @gsimonel. Someday perhaps I will find one I can afford.

ominus1 likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I was at my Daughter's Bout (Roller Derby), and I showed my 6 yo Grandson this thread. Yes, he had a lot of fun with the pronunciation. I explained to him and his father that Latin words and sounds are different than American English. :)

My Poopyanus:

RI Pupienus AR denarius bust r Concordia throne patera dbl cornucopiae Seaby 6.JPG
    RI Pupienus AR denarius bust r Concordia throne patera dbl cornucopiae Seaby 6

My Daughter was Number 1 Draft pick in their league this year.
    upload_2018-4-7_20-49-15.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What a beaut! Even at twice what you might get it for, that's a SCORE!
    Sadly, I don't have a P-U-penus:playful:
    But I do have a slice of his partner in crime. That's right folks, I've got a piece of a Bulbus-anus:facepalm:
    CollageMaker Plus_201846151330834.png

Balbinus
    AR Antoninianus, clasped
    hands reverse
    Balbinus (238 AD). AR
    Antoninianus Roma (Rome),
    April-June 238 AD.
    Obv. IMP CAES D CAEL
    BALBINVS AVG, radiate,
    draped and cuirassed bust
    right.
    Rev. CONCORDIA AVGG,
    clasped hands.
    RIC IV, 2, p. 170, 10.

11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..haha...don't ask, ifn ya got it, just whip it out on'em, but only a coin collector might be impressed :p

Ryro likes this.
  12. gsimonel

I'm a schoolteacher. I remember the year our school went through 6 different principals. That was also an exciting year.

13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Nice score, especially for the price

My twin "friends"

[​IMG]
    Pupienus, Denarius Rome mint, AD 238
    IMP C M CLOD PVPIENVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right
    PM TRP COS II PP, Felicitas standing left, holding caduceus and sceptre
    3.08 gr
    Ref : RCV # 8527, Cohen # 26

[​IMG]
    Balbinus, Denarius Rome mint, AD 238
    IMP C D CAEL BALBINVS AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust of Balbinus right
    PROVIDENTIA DEORVM, Providentia standing left, holding rod and cornucopiae, globe at feet
    2.7 gr
    Ref : RIC # 7, RCV # 8490

Q

Curtisimo, chrsmat71, Nemo and 11 others like this.
  14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great denarii @Cucumbor ! I have sestertii of the two guys on the way and I'm really looking forward to receiving them.

Cucumbor likes this.
  15. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

After reading this thread I am surprised at just how many people have a Pupienus, I don't have one, but I think one day I will.

16. gsimonel

They are not particularly hard to find. A search on VCoins turns up a lot of them. So I'm not sure why they and their Balbinal cousins are so expensive. Must be the demand. Or mass delusion.

Aethelred likes this.
  17. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Balbinus:
    upload_2018-4-8_16-50-15.png
    RI Balbinus 238 CE AR Denarius 20mm 3.7g Rome Laureate draped cuirasses - Victory wreath palm RIC 8

Curtisimo, chrsmat71, dadams and 5 others like this.
  18. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

They’re very short-lived emperors, ruling for only three months, which limits the number of coins available. In addition to this, there’s a lot of demand because coins of these emperors are part of the widely collected portrait series. So I can see why the prices are relatively high.

Alegandron likes this.
  19. Meander

Meander Well-Known Member

I have a nice Pupienus sestertius. I find it much harder to acquire a decent Balbinus bronze. They are usually quite worn or tooled (mainly the hair). Pupienus_sestertius.jpg

20. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Congrats :D

Meander likes this.
  21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I thought this dudes names was "Pup In Us". I'm so glad it isn't. :D

That's a great looking new coin @gsimonel !

Draft saved Draft deleted