I have a 2001 Dime with Copper Face and Back

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Ezeeepass, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Ezeeepass

Ezeeepass New Member

Good Morning Everyone!! I have a 2001 Dime with Copper Face and Back and I would like to know what you call this and if it is worth anything. It is much prettier in person.
    Thank you all in advance for your response and Happy Thanksgiving!! P9205764.JPG P9205765.JPG P9205767.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello.
    It's considered Environmental Damage to the clad layer on both sides..
    Only Worth 10 Cents

spirityoda and tommyc03 like this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

environmental damage, spend it

spirityoda and tommyc03 like this.
  5. paddyman98

I metal detect. Over the years I have found hundreds of Environmental Damaged Clad coins and Nickels.
    Dirt, soil, sand, water and heat will affect the Copper mixed with Cupro-Nickel clad layer.
    20171224_140434.jpg 20180101_083823-1.jpg 20190316_113034-1.jpg 20190504_174319-1.jpg

CircCam and spirityoda like this.
  6. Ezeeepass

Ezeeepass New Member

Thank you

7. Ezeeepass

Ezeeepass New Member

the shine did not come out in the picture. Its not dull looking like I found it in dirt or looked rubbed off. you might be completely right but I just wanted to explain the condition because it did not come across in the images. I am looking at your examples and it looks nothing like that. I will try to get a better picture so you can look at it again if you don't mind. Sincerely thank you for responding so quickly.

8. paddyman98

Buddy I have been collecting mint errors for 34 years. It's environmental damage.

#1.. It can't be struck on a copper cent planchet because a copper blank is larger, thicker and heavier than a normal Dime planchet and it wont fit into the chamber when striking dimes.

#2.. It's not missing both clad layers exposing the inner copper because that usually occurs on just one side.

Good luck with your Dime.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@paddyman98 has been collecting error coins for almost 35 years; I started collecting in 1957, and @Treashunt has been around forever.

Your response is usually the first thing that a newbie makes when they don't fully believe the explanation given, so it comes as no surprise to me. We hear it all the time that more pictures will make a difference. They really won't!

If your coin was truly missing the clad layers, we wouldn't see the lightly colored surfaces on the high points. It would look like this...….

2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

Please don't be offended by my comments. In time, you will understand.

Chris

spirityoda likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If it were missing the clad layers, it would also be thinner, and the details on both sides would be weaker.

When a cupronickel coin is exposed to acid, the nickel dissolves faster than the copper, and what's left looks darker -- it's more copper and less nickel, and the copper darkens further as it oxidizes. The result is a coin that looks just like yours.

spirityoda likes this.
  11. Ezeeepass

Ezeeepass New Member

I'm not offended daddy and thank you for the education. We learn every day:)

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. Dieosa Garden

Dieosa Garden New Member

Can u look at a coin for me and tell me what u think

13. paddyman98

Sure. Start a new separate thread. Pictures are needes and a description of what you think is different.

Draft saved Draft deleted