I have a 2000 D copper nickel alloy one cent piece. What is it worth?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SilvrD, Jul 21, 2019.

1. SilvrD

SilvrD New Member

Any value to it?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Your cent is damaged. Someone scraped the copper plating especially around the rim to reveal the zinc underneath. It is not a mint error. Only worth 1 Cent

4. SilvrD

SilvrD New Member

It has a different edge than a penny would have.

5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Suggestion: double check your photos before you post. It the photo isn't in focus, don't post it. Paddyman is correct, it is just a damaged cent. Welcome to CT BTW.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

We can't tell with the photos you've posted, but I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say: No, just a PMD cent.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It doesn't have a different edge it has a damaged edge known as the rim or third side.
    The zinc core has been exposed.
    PMD as already stated.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sorry, it is not copper/nickel, there is no such cent. Copper plated zinc is all this is.

9. Pete Apple

Pete Apple Well-Known Member

I agree with all the above. A first step in understanding what you have is to weigh the coin. For example, a cent struck on a cupronickel alloy (nickel stock) should weigh 4.26g. See this table.

Wrong Stock Chart by John Devine.1.JPG

10. SilvrD

SilvrD New Member

Ok. I will post more clear pictures. I’m new to this.

11. Pete Apple

Weigh the coin!!! (Please)

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There's nothing to weigh. It's a damaged coin with the zinc exposed.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. Pete Apple

I agree that it is damaged. If he weighed the coin it might help convince him that your assessment is correct.

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not everyone has a gram scale handy.. It's like getting a bottle of wine and you want to open it but you don't necessarily always keep a corkscrew laying around.;)

15. Pete Apple

You are correct! I am one who thinks a scale which weighs to 2 decimals in grams is a necessary requirement for a serious collector's toolbox, and I want to encourage anyone interested to acquire one. For $10 or so I think it is a valuable investment. Another useful tool is a set of calipers which measure to 2 decimals in mm.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The edge looks different because it is a dryer coin and the edge has been compressed. That wore through the copper plating at the same time.

Draft saved Draft deleted