I have a 1994 Grey penny, a JFK ,50 cent coin with no face, 2 1958 penny's in really Good conditio

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Alexalicea, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Alexalicea

Alexalicea New Member

I have many coins but I would like to start with those first.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

post pics

Alexalicea likes this.
  4. Alexalicea

Alexalicea New Member

[​IMG] 1487370431874.jpg 1487370351406.jpg 1487370812824.jpg 1487370812824.jpg 1487370812824.jpg 1487370829297.jpg 1487476070732.jpg 20170218_225501.jpg

Attached Files:

5. atcarroll

atcarroll Well-Known Member

The half has had its face ground off, and the grey cent looks like it's missing its copper plating

6. Alexalicea

Alexalicea New Member

I'm sorry but I am new in this site and I'm trying to figure out how this works.
    The penny was in a penny roll i have no idea if worth something for been not plating.and the 50 cent coin I find it working in a old house,was behind a wall.

7. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The 1994 cent is plated with another alloy. Not worth more than a cent.

The Kennedy half was ground to a smooth surface. If you have a scale it would be nice to know how much your coin weighs. Hide it in a roll of other halves and return it to the bank for 50 cents.

The 1958-D looks normal. It would make for a good hole filler in an album or folder.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Unless the 1994 has been dipped or plated, you may have a winner there but you would need to have it attributed by an expert. Weighing it would not tell as the copper plating is too thin to make a difference in the weight. The Kennedy is someone's plaything, probably done with a buffer. The 1958D cent is nice but a common date. Question...can you see any copper showing on the edge of the gray cent? This would tell if it has been plated or dipped.

SchwaVB57 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  9. Alexalicea

Alexalicea New Member

NO copper color on the edge or any other area. Is all gray.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

That's a good start. I would take it to a coin dealer or submit for attribution before I would toss it. That's really the only way to know for sure, and said with all respect to everyone else who think it might be plated.

coinzip and Alexalicea like this.
  11. Alexalicea

Alexalicea New Member

I will take it to some one to look at it.i won't lose anything taking it. Thank you for your advice.

mattsobo likes this.
  12. Alexalicea

Alexalicea New Member

H
    Owcfrx15413@maill4u.us do our know that the cent was plated? I see that you have a great knowledge about coins.. I'm sure that you have license to grade coins ?right ?

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Please do not misunderstand my post. I'm not saying he is not correct about it being plated, just that is better to be sure than not. I respect everyone's opinion here. I'd hate to see someone else be offended just because I am overly cautious in my own opinion. And grading can be a very subjective creature as you will see when people post coins in the "Guess The Grade" posts. I doubt that anyone here has a "license" to grade. We have all learned to grade in different ways, some go by the published books, others just by years of collecting and good eyesight and general knowledge.

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

1994 - Plated - Junk
    Kennedy - Damaged - Junk
    1958 - ah it's OK

15. Alexalicea

Alexalicea New Member

16. Charles Day

Charles Day Member

I found a gray 1994 d penny size

17. Charles Day

Charles Day Member

I found a gray 1994 d penny size 20170227_200129~2.jpg

18. Charles Day

Charles Day Member

Same size coins 20170227_200028.jpg

19. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

You came here to ask our advise. Asking for more information is fine.

Sarcasm when you're the one asking is getting close to the line where many of us will write this thread off. Just an FYI...

How do we know it's plated? Because there's almost no way to come from the mint like that. Cents are made of zinc with a very thin plating of copper. So it's possible to have an unplated zinc planchet (the metal disk that is pressed to make a coin). But when that happens, it doesn't look like your coin - see http://www.error-ref.com/unplated-cents/ - it doesn't have a uniform smooth surface.

Now it could be another metal, a planchet made for a foreign coin that the US Mint was making at the time. Occasionally a planchet gets stuck in the big hoppers they use and could fall out the next time it's used. To tell that (there are records of what the mint struck for which countries) we need an accurate weight of the coin.

This (http://minterrornews.com/news-5-13-03-foreigners_in_the_mint.html) is an interesting article, but there's nothing in there remotely like a 1994 striking of ANYTHING.

If it weighs 2.5 grams, it's a plated US Cent.

If it weights something else, it's certainly worth exploring.

Alexalicea and aep1984 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted