I have a 1993 d steel penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Steel, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Steel

Steel New Member

I can't say Never Get Lucky I do got a story about coins that's good

My buddy about 10 years ago at three roles of silver dollars from the 1800s

Two $1,000 bills for $500 bills in like five or six gold coins can't remember how many exactly he found them all and we went to Houston and he split the money with me we got about 15 grand for all of it that's lucky God bless his heart and God Rest his soul he was a good guy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

People do strange things to coins, and this is aside from the school experiments, so it's often best to focus on the what than the why. However, I applaud your curiosity and hope that you stick around. If this or any other coin you may have is sufficient to spark an interest in the hobby, this alone would make it an excellent find.

Likewise. :)

4. Steel

Steel New Member

Hey thanks God bless you guys

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

gold penny.JPG I taught high school chemistry for a few years and we had an experiment where we plated pennies with zinc which gave them a "silvery" color, and if they were heated up, the zinc coating would blend with the copper to give brass, of course we called them "gold" pennies. To be magnetic, the coating would have to be a ferromagnetic metal such as iron or nickel. These are well known...why...your guess is as good as mine. We can suggest some ways to try and investigate this coin, but in the end, you will have to take it to a dealer or a grading service to prove authenticity. And if authentic, it could be worth a bit. Let me see if I can find my "gold" pennies...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    paddyman98 likes this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Nothing close to cent size in any composition was minted for a foreign country within a few years of 1993.

https://minterrornews.com/news-5-13-03-foreigners_in_the_mint.html
    Near the bottom, there is a link to click on an extensive table of foreign coins made by the US mint. Lots of great info including dates, size, and composition (good site to bookmark)

@Steel. As others have said, it's a plated cent. This is a very common HS Chemistry class experiment. Cost is minimal and the student gets to take their experiment home. If you really like the coin, here's how you can make a lot more
    https://www.sciencecompany.com/Turn-Copper-Pennies-Into-Silver-and-Gold-Pennies.aspx

7. Steel

Steel New Member

8. Kentucky

Have to disagree a bit. Easy to zinc plate, not so easy to nickel or iron plate.

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Awesome... :)

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Shot down by a technicality unless I can find some ferromagnetic zinc ;). Oh well, point taken

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Kentucky

Probably more of a physics experiment, or shop.

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yes Corgi your post was before Cutlers.

CoinCorgi likes this.
  13. Fyouzz

Fyouzz New Member

14. Fyouzz

Fyouzz New Member

15. Fyouzz

Fyouzz New Member

I just found this today any one have any ideas

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are a couple of possibilities. Sometimes people take the plating off,
    and reveal the zinc underneath. That would be damage and it's worth 1 cent.
    The other thing, it could have been struck on a zinc planchet that was not plated.
    That would be an error and would have value.
    I forgot how you tell the difference. But there are other threads here on the same
    topic (unplated zinc, etc.) and in those threads there are experts which can tell you
    which one is deplated (damage) and which one is unplated. (good error).
    Like I said, I don't remember the difference, but it's almost always deplated.

17. Justin Cash

Justin Cash New Member

I just got one of those "gold" pennies. Thought it could be rare...Guess not, dreams shattered. Thanks for the info anyway. It was 1993 D that made it to Wyoming.

Kentucky likes this.
  18. Nann

Nann Member

I believe you.

(All but “the magnet” part.)

IMG_1243.jpeg IMG_1244.jpeg IMG_1245.jpeg

19. Kentucky

Nann likes this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Nann likes this.
  21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Not too hard to alter a 1943 steel cent to a 1993 steel cent for most engravers So all internal measurements would be within specs. Jim

Draft saved Draft deleted