I have a 1985 D quarter, trying to figure out if theres an error or not

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Tbruessow, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Tbruessow

Tbruessow New Member

Im relatively new to coin collecting and have been going through a ton of quarters and noticed the D mint mark was at least double spaced if not triple from the back of washingtons ponytail compred to all the other quarters. Worth keeping? Or toss it back in the jar with the rest? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Not an error
    I believe that in 1985 the Mint Mark was still hand punched into the Obverse Die.
    So the location varies in that general area.
    Toss it.

tommyc03 likes this.
  4. Tbruessow

Tbruessow New Member

Ok thank you! Sorry if my questions aren't that intelligent!

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

paddy is quite correct. I think the cut off date was 1989 and then the mint marks were incorporated directly on to the die. Die misplacement was common so no added value.

Tbruessow likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No problem buddy. It was an excellent question!
    Hey, I have 31 years of collecting errors and varieties and I still learn new things now and then ;)

Curtisimo likes this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

You have no reason to apologize. Your question was quite reasonable. It's just that we get bunches of questions like yours and many of the replies are answered in a "matter-of-fact" way with no intention of belittling anyone.

Chris

8. Samanthakay

Samanthakay New Member

I have the exact same thing with a 1985 d quarter. 20170527_194221.jpg

9. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

If it is the same then you have a normal quarter, worth 25 cents. If you are curious about the circular mark on your quarter it is damage from a counting or coin rolling machine.

10. Samanthakay

Samanthakay New Member

What about the possible cracked by the y? There are several post with the same?

11. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Picture is too blurry to tell, might be a scratch, struck through something or could be a die crack.

Draft saved Draft deleted