I have a 1966, 1975, and 1978 dime with no mint mark...and I'm hopeful.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by sch, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Pila

Pila New Member

Good to know. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. How can you tell? If its not a old proof that some edited open and used it because he did not know any better how can you tell for sure please?
    I have one that is real shinny.
    I am new to this aslo and i'm enjoying the hunt any help will be appreciated.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's hard to describe the look of a proof in just words. Once you see a few you will be able to tell the difference. You could go to ebay and look at some images. It can be a great tool to learn from. Welcome to CT.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I took this image from ebay of a proof.
    s-l50250.jpg

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

When I was working in San Diego, I used to go to the bank every 2 weeks and deposit my paycheck. While there, I would take any Ike dollars they had (this was in the late 70's). One day going through them, one shined up at me...the only proof I ever found in circ. Most proof coins have mirror-like backgrounds (with some exceptions) and the strike is super sharp. There are indicators on many.

7. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Maybe this article I wrote about this subject will help. As ldhair mentioned, using words to teach what a proof coin looks like is like trying to smell the color 9. Since that is the case the article i wrote is a bit lengthy. I hope it helps.

http://munciecoinandstampclub.com/i...o-s-roosevelt-dime-worth-thousands-of-dollars

8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I love the aroma of number 9.

phankins11 likes this.
  9. this is my coin who is to say that someone did not open a proof and put one of these dimes in to circulation without knowing any better ? coin not clean at all it was in my change bin, i know that polishing a coin is bad..

if you look closely you can see the the we in got we trust is not on the coin all the way as is should be . might be hard to see from the pics

Attached Files:

10. phankins11 likes this.
  11. Kentucky

If I am not mistaken, in 1975 the proof sets were made in San Francisco, so the dime should bear an "s" mint mark to be a proof.

12. I belive that the s mark was mistakenly not put on a certain amount of coins witch is what makes the valuable.

13. Kentucky

Good luck

14. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Looks like an average worn down '75-P Dime..... not a Proof

15. Thx for the help the hunt will continue

16. Daniel88

Daniel88 New Member

I have found a 1975 roosevelt dime with no s. Is it rare.

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Do you have an image? They were made without an S and with a D mintmark. These are not rare. There were proofs made without an S that are rare. With an image we can probably tell if what you have is a proof.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  18. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted