I have a 1966, 1975, and 1978 dime with no mint mark...and I'm hopeful.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by sch, Jun 5, 2012.

1. lonegunlawyer

lonegunlawyer Numismatist Esq.

You guys have got to be kidding, resurrecting a year and a half old thread where the OP asked specifically about 1966, 1978, and 1975 dimes that did not have mint marks. :confused:

Bella4575 and BUncirculated like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lmorrow

lmorrow coins!!!!!!!!!!

you have only an combined value of about 25-35 cent's.

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Well it WAS a new member to CT, so we can cut the kid some slack. o_O

Bella4575 and clcrx7 like this.
  5. clcrx7

clcrx7 New Member

My apologies for kicking this dead horse but I got some good feedback and a good resource from other member's responses. ;)

Bella4575 likes this.
  6. Bella4575

Bella4575 New Member

Hello All,

I'm new to this coin thing, but after collecting 7 glass containers of coins, I decided to take it on. I found a 1975 Roosevelt dime with no mint marking on it. What does that mean, and what can/should I do with it?? Any help would be appreciated.
    I hate counting change, so once my purse weighs a ton I empty it.
    Sorry if I'm wasting your time, but I don't know anything about coins. You can be blunt, all good. I saw someone posted this question awhile ago, but didn't see an answer.

Sorry.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  7. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Hi Bella. If it looks like a regular dime, it is a standard dime made in Philadelphia. But if it looks way more detailed than the other dimes and really stands out from the crowd, it is a valuable proof made in San Francisco the was mistakenly made without the S being added to the dies. Chances are that you have a standard dime, but stranger things have happened.

Even if your dime turns out to be a dime, have fun searching, who knows what you may find in there.

Bella4575 likes this.
  8. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It's a regular dime worth ten cents. The chances of it being one of the incredibly rare no-mintmark proof dimes for the date are along the lines of you finding the winning Lotto ticket on the street.

Bella4575 likes this.
  9. Bella4575

Bella4575 New Member

10. Bella4575

Bella4575 New Member

Thank you both, Kirkuleez and Tom B for your responses. Like I said I'm a new to this. I have a few of half dollars, dollars, and some Morgan Silver Dollars.

If I need to be on a different thread, just tell me please! Dimes that are silver, would you sell them, melt them down, or just turn them into the bank??

I have jars of coins I'm going through, and think I'm losing my vision lol. I hate counting change when I pay for anything, so I end up with a purse weighing 8lbs. I have through it into jars for years, them I've gotten coins from relatives. Nothing is graded, I have no idea how to do that, or on what to do it on. Sorry if I'm wasting your time, do appreciate the responses, thank you very much!

11. Bella4575

Bella4575 New Member

12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

That '78 is as nice as you are likely to find even if you search 1000 rolls.

Bella4575 likes this.
  13. Pila

Pila New Member

I've recently read the 1975 no S' dime to be worth over 40,000

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Yes, but that is a Proof dime which is produced separately by the mint from the Business strike 1975 Philadelphia dime that also has no S and is worth about face value usually. Proof coins have several distinguishing characteristics. Welcome.

jim

15. Pila

Pila New Member

Sorry mine posted so many times. I know a man who is homeless that we befriended. He was told about the 1975 no s dime. He's been in search of it for some time now. I know nothing about coins, but he's finally come across one. I'm holding on to it for him.
    I've recently read it's worth over $40,000.
    Where would someone even sell off this coin if he wanted to collect that money. I'm trying to help him research it. I truly hope this helps him get back on his feet. I've heard it's pretty rare.

16. Pila

Pila New Member

Thanks Jim. Just read your post after posting again.

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Probably most coins collectors could tell you if it was a proof or a business strike. It would be like winning the big lottery on 1 ticket. so don't get him too excited. Photos of the coin including the edges could bring more comments, but without them , you will just hear the same story.

18. Pila

Pila New Member

I was trying to upload a photo off my phone. Not sure how to do it.

19. Pila

Pila New Member

20. Pila

Pila New Member

OK. I figured out how to add the picture. Hope that helps. I definitely hope it's worth something so that I can update him when I give him his coin in a bit.

21. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Sorry, just a regular Philadelphia minted dime.

Draft saved Draft deleted