I have a 1966, 1975, and 1978 dime with no mint mark...and I'm hopeful.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by sch, Jun 5, 2012.

1. sch

sch New Member

I recently found a 1966, 1978, and 1975 US dime that do not have mint marks. I am a novice at coin searching and thought someone with a keen and experienced eye could tell me if these are anything to get excited about. I know that Philadelphia did not have mint marks at this time and that its a long shot for any of these to be anything special. They are a bit shinier than the other dimes I found them in but I understand that that really doesn't mean much. The 1966 dime has very defined features though they are a bit worn from obvious circulation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.

THANKS
    SCH

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Welcome to CT. Sorry to have to dash your hopes, but no mint mark on these means Philadelphia mint. No added value.

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

You have $.30 in dimes.

As Rick pointed out, no mint on business strike dimes are Philadelphia coins. They didn't start adding the P mint mark until the late 70s, like 79 with SBA dollars.

Also the dimes without mint marks, and highly sought after are proof dimes struck IN San Francisco, in 1968, 1970, 1975, and 1983, as well as some business strikes in 1982.

pyro-dan and swamp yankee like this.
  5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I believe you meant to say the highly sought after dimes are 1968, 1970, 1975 and 1983 Proof Dimes without a mintmark.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Yes thank you.

Willysilver likes this.
  7. sch

sch New Member

Thank you for your information

Y'all have been very helpful. I thought since I did not know much about coins that getting people who knew more about this to see them would be helpful and definitely wouldn't hurt just in case. Thanks again.

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Don't stop hunting sch, many people come across wonderful finds. Not me, but many do.

9. clcrx7

clcrx7 New Member

So I'm new and it was this very thread that I found doing a search on this very topic that made me decide to create an account and post...

So I have also found a 1978 no mint mark dime...looking at sch's and the one I have, they both have the 2 deep grooves on the left side of the flame on the reverse...now, if I understand correctly, this is a proof mint feature and only the San Francisco Mint produced these at that time (1965 - present).

I also have 2 1977 D mint mark dimes, a 1978 D mint mark dime and a 1979 D mint mark dime, all with the 2 deep grooves...

I don't see these same groove markings on slightly newer mintages on...

So, and this is where I need some help...either:

1.) This was a typical die feature during the 70's for all mints or;
    2.) the Philadelphia and Denver mints were using proof reverses that only San Fran was supposed to be using or;
    3.) the 1978 no mint mark dime was actually minted in San Fran and is missing the mint mark (not likely and doesn't explain the 77-78 D mint mark version).

Any ideas? My guess is I thought way too hard about this.

10. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I believe you thought way too hard about this. You have regular production dimes worth face value.

BUncirculated likes this.
  11. clcrx7

clcrx7 New Member

Tom B,
    Thanks for your response and I thought so too...I know there are some 1960 and 1970 dimes that were accidentally minted with a reverse proof die which incorporates the distinct deep parallel lines in the torch's flame and aresought after to some extent...add that with the San Fran mint being the only mint to mint proofs during the late 70's and my mind just ran away.

Chris

12. onecenter

onecenter Member

Finding coins in circulation is lots of fun. Precious metals may have long ago departed from American coinage, but finding every date and mintmark on circulated clad coinage and bronze cents is not always an easy task.

swamp yankee and Pixl Pirate like this.
  13. clcrx7

clcrx7 New Member

Onecenter,

I still ocassionally find 90% silver quarters or dimes in my change. Even if there is no extra value attributed to the coin other than it's face value and silver content, it's still cool to find.

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. onecenter

onecenter Member

And I am sure that on any day you receive that "rogue" silver coin, it is a mighty special day!

swamp yankee likes this.
  15. clcrx7

clcrx7 New Member

I know about the rogue 1965-67 dimes and the 1965 quarters struck on a silver planchets...are there any others I should be watching out for?

16. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yep, any dime or quarter dated 1964 or earlier.

swamp yankee likes this.
  17. clcrx7

clcrx7 New Member

rickmp,

If referring to rogue silver dimes and quarters I think you may have meant to say those minted after 1964...64 and earlier are actually the easy ones to come across...

18. onecenter

onecenter Member

Yes indeed.

swamp yankee likes this.
  19. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

clcrx7 likes this.
  20. clcrx7

clcrx7 New Member

Exactly...this proof design aspect appeared accidentally as the reverse of some earlier year dimes...Thanks for the link...

21. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

i starting to think that the 69,70 and 70 D for the proof version are not as rare they claim to be..Im trying to to get a tally on how many come my way but they don't seem rare at all. Maybe in BU condition .. Yes .. but in avg 40 year condition . No

Draft saved Draft deleted