I have a 1949 D mint error penny The First Tee and the word state is the number 7

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kelly1025, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Kelly1025

Kelly1025 New Member

I have a I have a 1949 D mint wheat penny the first letter T in the word State on the back of the coin is the number 7 the bottom half of the f on the word of is missing as well as several other minting errors has anyone seen this and do you not know the value of the Coin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

See, this is why members here make silly answers. Do you really expect an answer to this with no pictures?

Spark1951 and Stevearino like this.
  4. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Yes. I NOT know the value of the coin. But I’ll take a guess and say 1 cent as it’s probably damage.
    Pictures would help of course.

Spark1951 likes this.
  5. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome To Cointalk
    Pics are needed if you want help. IMO
    Dave

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

PaddyNac.jpg
    I will say.... It's damaged!

MisterWD and juris klavins like this.
  7. Kelly1025

Kelly1025 New Member

230829332e2d0d8466d2ba40f2529fbc.0.jpg

Stevearino and Kentucky like this.
  8. paddyman98

Yup.. all damage.. Circulation wear and tear. Especially on the T in STATES :yack:

9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

The T seems to have suffered a "whack" that damaged it and the rest is probably due to wear. Since it is a wheatie, it's worth maybe a nickel.

10. Kelly1025

Kelly1025 New Member

If you zoom in the picture though the t is clearly a 7 may not be able to tell very well from this but under the monocular it's definitely a 7

11. paddyman98

NO IT IS NOT... it looks like a 7 because as stated the T took a hit and the metal was moved. There is no reason why the US Mint would replace the letter T with a 7

Again.. you do not have a Mint Error

Stevearino likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you truly believe the first T in States is a 7 please explain to us how that is possible. How is it the US Mint made this error? Since it's a wheat cent that means it would be a minimum of 60 years old and you found the only one minted. It's PMD or Post Mint Damage as previously stated. Copper is soft and a slight hit, even from another coin, can cause this type of damage.

13. Clawcoins

... dashing million dollar hopes one post at a time ...

Esentially, you believe that it looks like a 7. But it did not start out as a 7. It started out as a T; then took a hit which moved the very soft copper (happens all the time actually) and now it looks like a 7.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

"T" very often become a 7, or 1,Y,I,etc. Copper is one of the softest metals, and easily deformed as it is small on coins. you can take the edge of another coin, especially one of harder metal such as a nickle or dime and push it around to form those, probably happened in someone's pocket. Not done in the mint though. Welcome Jim

15. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

If you understood the minting process, you would know why this is impossible.

It's not a 7. It's a T that took a hit and now looks like a 7. It's PMD, not an error.

16. Kelly1025

Kelly1025 New Member

I understand what y'all are saying and I couldn't hardly believe it myself that's why I posted this but if it was from damage there would be scarring around the 7 and there's no scarring around the 7 is it possible just to move the tee and not scar any of the rest of the coin around where the tea would have been?

17. Kelly1025

Kelly1025 New Member

there is there is scarring on the coin the S has some scarring the bottom half of the f is scarred there is no impact scoring on what should be the T

18. paddyman98

Circulation use over the years will smooth out the "scarring".. You have heard from many of the best here on CoinTalk.. Seems like you don't want to believe us.. Good luck with your damaged Cent :facepalm:

Stevearino likes this.
  19. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You received many answers from people who have studied and understand the minting process. Once you understand how coins are made, it will be apparent to you that this couldn't have been done at the mint. It was damaged afterwards

I have a question about your previous post. Did you post here to get honest, objective feedback from people who have years and years of experience in numismatics, or were you just looking for someone to tell you what you wanted to hear.

BTW: If you still believe you have something, you should provide an explanation on how it was caused at the mint. Many people here are knowledgeable of the minting process and providing a plausible hypothesis based on factual information will generate a meaningful discussion. Just saying "can't you see it?" doesn't cut it.

20. Clawcoins

When in doubt Send it in to PCGS to get it graded.

Then you can find out from the "experts" .. even though there are more than a few "professional" graders on this board ...

21. Kelly1025

Kelly1025 New Member

okay I appreciate the help guys only reason I was posting is cuz I've only been collecting for about a month now I'm completely inexperienced but I thought it was possible for it to be a seven instead of a t because of coins in the forties on the wheat pennies missing 4 in the date as well as I have a 1950 90% silver quarter with the S mint stamped over the D mint. I couldn't find anything anywhere online where there was any other reports of the seven or why they would be a 7 that's why I came here I appreciate your guy's help and knowledge thank you all

Draft saved Draft deleted