I have a 1916 Lincoln cent that is 20 percent off center

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dominic, Dec 6, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

If that were slabbed without a "Details" grade that would go for around $70 in VF.

Anything before the 1920s 15% off-center or more sells pretty well in XF and higher. When they are damaged, that's where you get more inconsistent sale prices and demand drops. Minst State examples around MS63 go for well over $175, and if RED instead of RB or BN can tack on up to twice that much. MS65 and higher in RD can be $400+

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JCro57

Well, I don't want to say I "wouldn't" buy it. I will say there are a lot of these to choose from, and I prefer one that isn't damaged. At some point, the coins we have will be sold either by us or by our heirs who have no interest in them. Damaged coins are tough to sell.

If you think about it, there really aren't that many serious coin collectors who actually pay more than $50 for a coin. And compared to traditional collectors, a fraction collect Mint errors. And not many of that small number will pay $50 for an error. Even fewer than that will put money into a damaged coin, as the market is microscopically small to begin with.

So do I want a damaged coin? Not particularly. My only exception would be a transitional error (1965 silver dime, etc.)

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Really cool. I like it a lot!! I’m a penny pincher! Lol

5. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking is there a way to figure out when it was slabbed! Just wondering how long it was in circulation before it was slabbed!

6. ACoinJob

ACoinJob There are still some out there to be had.

I added up the 2019 price guides info: $12 for off center Lincoln cent 95% copper + about an MS-47 for condition = $13. You're looking at $25 and up for it, just like Paddyman said.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  7. JCro57

Exactly how you do arrive at that? What price guides? And what is MS47? There is no way any of your information is correct.

8. JCro57

Plus details grades throw things off

9. ACoinJob

The 2019 RED BOOK by R.S.Yeoman, pg.436 Misstrikes & Errors: 3rd row 5th column, $12 off center wheat cent + guessing the grade at page 130 at AU-50 $13. Generously, you'd pay $10 and up for a holder with it being graded. So $35 value or better. Retail, you're looking at $61.25

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I always imagined that author saying.. " Yo Man, check out my book" :wacky:

ACoinJob likes this.
  11. ACoinJob

I read them since 1978, lol. The stories were fun to gaze at, then I learned about Gray Sheets. What a nightmare. Also, the old addage of buying by the RED & Selling by the Blue Books was because they used the information for retail stores to get an advantage over the current market to pay for their employees, and taxes.

12. JCro57

Guessing the grade? It says VF details for the 1916.

Also, copper Wheaties could be as late as 1958 - can't compare that to a 1916. Redbook is great, but very limited for error info.

13. ACoinJob

Some errors do reach into the multiples of thousands of dollars, it states that info too. It explains more than you give it credit for. What's your source of info on errors and misstrikes, please?

14. JCro57

Mint Error News much better, but not as good as checking recent auction prices

Screenshot_2018-12-08-19-29-59~2.png

ACoinJob likes this.
  15. ACoinJob

I agree with the auction price, they dropped the old Buy by the RED & Sell by the Blue years ago. Was just going by what I knew at the moment. The Mint News is a better source of info, that's correct. I would like to get their info too. Do you have a link to share please?

16. ACoinJob

I googled it. https://minterrornews.com Thanks for sharing. I'm looking at the cent over dime double denomination, good reading info. Thanks :)

JCro57 likes this.
  17. JCro57

You got it

18. Dominic

Dominic New Member

it is mine, and i bought it from some guy off of ebay for 10$

ACoinJob likes this.
  19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You have what? There are no real double denominations for $10.00.. Especially a Cent struck on Dime error.

20. ACoinJob

Sorry it was off topic, and sorry to Paddyman98, it was off topic, my apologies.

Draft saved Draft deleted