I have $1,250.00 to spend on coins, what should i spend it on?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jlogan, Jan 4, 2015.

?

What should i spend it on?

1. $89 face in 90% silver

10.2%
  2. Liberty head $20 gold piece (i could come up with another couple hundred dollars)

39.0%
  3. Liberty head $10 gold piece and the rest in 90% silver

15.3%
  4. $500 FRN

3.4%
  5. Low grade Bust Dollar

11.9%
  6. Other?

20.3%
  1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

books, first, then coins

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Should be open season on both in my opinion at least for a week. Or just let us shoot out their tires when their driving like idiots. They forget us people that live here don't have all day we gotta get to work

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I voted other,

I personally would buy:

2 x $500 coin
    1 x $250 coin

But that's just cause I like a little variety and am too scared to own a $1000 coin. :p

You can buy a lot of great Type coins at the $500 mark. Maybe an AU Reeded Edge Half, plus AU 20C, plus a VF Capped Bust Dime to round out the order, all CAC approved of course!

spirityoda likes this.
  5. JBOCON

JBOCON Well-Known Member

I would save for the $20.00 Gold Liberty. As a matter of fact, I am saving for one now.

spirityoda likes this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Why? What is the difference between one $1000 coin and three $333 coins?

spirityoda likes this.
  7. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

For my own collection, I would rather have 3 x $333 than one really expensive coin. But I used to be scared of $333 coins, so I'll get there some day. :D

spirityoda likes this.
  8. mike.t

mike.t New Member

1793 U.S coin

Mainebill likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I just spent $750 on a coin and that scared me a little. but I am confident that I did very well on it. and I do NOT intend on selling it any time soon (40 years) lol. for a $20 Liberty or St. Guadens that money seems reasonable. I want to start saving money up for a MS $2.50 or $5.00 indian gold coin. :greedy::):cool:

10. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

I would buy multiple higher grade key(ish) date coins. I am in the same boat as you have have some extra to spend and am trying to decide what to do. It's tempting to get that one big coin you have wanted, but on the other hand it's fun to have multiple new, nice coins to play with.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I think it's all about coin priorities. the coin I just paid $750 on will not be in the market for about 10-15 years from now so I jump at the chance of winning it. I am sure everyone has at least a top 10 coin want list ? I have a top 50-60 list. the top 10 are either to expensive or I am waiting for them to come on the market for sale.

12. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

my top 10 want list is practically unobtainable, especially with my budget :(:

1) 1964-D Peace Dollar
    2) Flowing hair dollar
    3) 1934 $10,000 bill
    4) 1893-S Morgan Dollar
    5) 1895 Morgan Dollar
    6) 1793 chain cent
    7) 1934 $5,000 bill
    8) Confederate Cent
    9) 1795-1797 $10 gold w/ small eagle
    10) Gobrecht Dollar

Top 10 list of things i can/may be able to afford:

1) Liberty Head Double Eagle
    2) Liberty Head Eagle
    3) $1,000 bill
    4) Indian Head Eagle
    5) Bust Dollar
    6) $500 bill
    7) Seated Liberty Dollar
    8) St. Gaudens Double Eagle
    9) Classic Head Half Eagle
    10) Liberty Head Half Eagle

spirityoda and Mainebill like this.
  13. Tamaracian

Tamaracian 12+ Yr Member--Supporter

I would suggest a 1908 No Motto St. Gaudens. They are quite popular, 1 of a 2-year only type, are available slabbed in MS63/64 for around the $1,250+ that you have to spend.

spirityoda and jlogan like this.
  14. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

I've been researching Liberty head double eagles and it looks like i'm going to need around $1,400.00, so I'll probably wait a couple weeks and hope it snows so i can go shovel some driveways :)

15. Mainebill

Of your want list I have one and the chain cent and gobrecht dollar are on my hopefully sometime list. The chain hopefully soon. If sure love a confederate cent but I'd be happy with one of the restrikes like I would the half. I have limited funds too or id be after
    1822 $5
    1794 $1
    Continental dollar especially in silver
    1792 half disme (maybe someday)
    Small eagle half again maybe someday
    Small eagle $10 (me too)
    $4 Stella
    And the 1884 and 1885 trade dollars that will complete the set in trying to put togetherc

jlogan likes this.
  16. Mainebill

I wish it'd snow here too! Bitter cold is all what goods wintercwithout snow to play in!!

JPeace$ and jlogan like this.
  17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

stick with your doable list. :)

jlogan likes this.
  18. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Just got very cold here in Mi too. I'm with you Bill, if it's going to be cold, it might as well snow. Last year we broke a state record with 97" of snow for the season.

19. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

On the contrary, there is only one possible good reason (and I don't agree even with it) to ever want snow. That's if one owns a ski resort.

Two flakes of snow are two flakes too many.

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

LOL. I hear you. I used to love snow -- but then I spent the record-breaking winters of 93-94 and 95-96 in southeastern PA (Lancaster). Multiple FEET of snow on an area that's accustomed to a few inches at a time. I blew out my shoulder shoveling our very short sidewalk and driveway, and it took years for it to recover. That was a big motivator for us to move to North Carolina.

Now, we find ourselves wishing for snow, and rarely getting it -- but I'm much happier this way than I was with the alternative!

21. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I grew up in Chicago. I've lived on both coasts and the southeast. I remember my feelings when I was moving to CA. I was happy I would no longer have to knock my feet together when entering my car...if you grew up with snow, you know of what I describe.

Anyway, believe it or not, I missed the snow. It can be a pain, but I find it oddly peaceful when we're getting a major snow storm and am willing to live with the consequences. I've always known I was a bit off....

Draft saved Draft deleted