I HATE bid snipping.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Jun 16, 2012.

1. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

*sniping

;)

-Brian

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

You did not loose because you were "sniped" in the last 2 sec.
    You lost because you did not bid enough.

4. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

*shrug*

Either I'll pay more than you're willing to, or I won't. :)

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yup. Most likely the "last second" bid you are talking about was placed days ahead of the time. You did not lose at the last second, you didn't KNOW you lost until the last second, then entire point of sniping.

Listen, I know it sucks, I used to rail against sniping, then I just figured they allow it, so play the game. Now I never place a real bid on Ebay, everything is snipes.

6. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

I think they attempted to stop sniping when they went to the 'max bid' a few years back.
    Now, if you really want an item, you just put in what it's worth to you, and walk away.
    If someone bids over you, then they thought it was worth more than you did. If you want
    to win, set your max bid high. That's the only way to ensure victory.

7. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

A normal auction has a going once, going twice etc. The timed auctions has a whole other dynamic. Just bid the max of what you want and be done with it.

8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I must admit I get some pleasure from the logic and strategy of sniping. I usually check to see how the bid increments are going and decide with 2 min. to go if I really want it considering where the price is. If yes, I guessimate based on the bid history how much the other want it and then put in my high bid, but do not confirm until 3 sec. are left. if someone else wanted it more than me, congratulations! If not I win at or below my price. I have never seen something I really wanted badly that hasn't appeared later, sometimes even better condition.

It's not like I am bidding on someone's insulin supply or something. Don't take life so seriously.

Jim

9. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I totally hate snipping. otoh I put in my bid for what I am willing to pay

10. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The only thing better than winning an auction by sniping is listening to the guy who lost complain about it. By far your best thread Detecto. It gave me much pleasure.:devil:

11. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

It is an eBay setting to keep logged in sessions for only 24 hours, probably for security reasons.

After it happened to me, I always remember when I logged in last time, and if it feels I`m about to get logged out during the last second bid, I log out and log in again few minutes before bidding.

All my bids are made during last 1-4 seconds with maximum amount I am willing to pay. If I don't win, someone is overpaying.

12. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Bid higher and you won't have to worry about snipers. You'll wind up paying a lot more for coins.

Big buyers play the averages. They pay low for some items and higher for others. When it averages out, they pay market value. They aren't concerned about individual prices when shopping for multiple items for resale because in the long run the price averages out.

13. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I think we've explained this before but after about a week or so, the advice is no longer valid apparently.

14. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

But the person wiling to spend more than you is likely thinking the same thing, if someone outbids them, then that person is over paying. ;)

15. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

I don't think the "max bid" is new. To my recollection it's been that way since the beginning.

16. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Yeah, each buyer got his own price idea. I saw a coin going for certain price on eBay, and exact same coins in same grade going for 450% more one month later. eBay got plenty of imbecile bidders.

I am spending a lot of time checking current eBay prices, completed auctions, foreign forums/auctions, US and foreign catalogs prices, all that before deciding what amount to bid.

I`d say my prices are quite objective, all that until I see I can't take the item I want, then I overpay myself to finally get it (if I want it that bad) :confused:

17. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

If I really want a coin bad enough and it's still at a reasonable price I wait until 2 seconds...then BAM !!!

Win some, lose a bunch....:rollling:

18. onecoinpony

onecoinpony Member

Maybe it's best that you don't have kids.:yes:

19. ikandiggit

[​IMG]

20. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

If you don't like sniping then use Heritage. Bid your max and forget about it - and there are some who still bid in the last minutes on heritage. Of course I do the same on ebay and if snipers want to outbid me then go for it. And all that means is the sniper was willing to pay more than me.

21. ikandiggit

The outcome is going to be the same regardless if its time restricted or bidding until the last bid. If you don't bid high enough to get it, you lose.

Draft saved Draft deleted