I got this 1985 DDO-003 back yesterday

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by tomfiggy, Feb 6, 2016.

1. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

One of the coins I sent to Mike Ellis to be attributed. It's not much of a looker and not in the best condition. I probably won't get it slabbed. It's real though. I tried to get a good pic of the date. The lighting, and the coins color are working against me on this one. 85date1.jpg 85pdate2.jpg 85Pdate33.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Try converting the last image to grey scale. That's the only one where I can even see any doubling.

tomfiggy likes this.
  4. tomfiggy

5. tomfiggy

Here is a much better pic. The date is awesome! I am going to get this slabbed! 85awesome1.jpg

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Mark Oliver

Mark Oliver Active Member

Way to dig man, looks nice.

tomfiggy likes this.
  7. Kapimono

Kapimono Active Member

Congrats on the find. And it doesn't have to be pretty to be exciting. :)

tomfiggy likes this.
  8. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

tomfiggy likes this.
  9. tomfiggy

I thought you did. Good advice on setting it to black and white. With all the reflections, and colors it's awful hard to see what's really there.

10. tomfiggy

85wetrust.jpg 85dategd2BW.jpg datebw.jpg IGWbw.jpg I'm liking this coin. Here are a couple more pics.

11. Kapimono

Kapimono Active Member

Now to me, the date looks more like strike doubling. I'm sure if looks different in hand though since it's already been attributed.

12. tomfiggy

It does appear to have some strike doubling as well as being a doubled die. In the color pics I took it's not as noticeable. The USB microscope is unreliable depending on the light, and angle the lens is set at. Sometimes it is hard to take a straight on pic and see the details. a plump rounded numeral can look like an incuse valley with the wrong light. I have to set one corner of the thing on the table next to the date and rotate it, and lift the rest off tilting to various angles until the light shines on the date or feature I'm trying to emphasize. The marks above the digits look more like stress lines, part of the copper that was dragged along, and twisted when the coin shifted in the chamber causing a slight incuse area. The closeup straight on shot shows it but the color shots don't.

Kapimono likes this.
  13. tomfiggy

One of the people on the "Lincoln Cent Forum" said it is a scarce coin. I'm going to get it slabbed.

Kapimono likes this.
  14. Mark Oliver

Hey Tom, was it a smooth process sending it over to them? I have an 82' that doesn't match anywhere and I have been considering sending it out.

15. tomfiggy

You can go to the Coneca website
    www.coneca.com I beleive and get the information to email whatever attributors are available. I have been using Mike Ellis. Check Coneca for details. If you join Coneca for $20.00 per year it's $4.00 per coin. If you don't join it's $5.00 per coin. Sometimes there is a limit on how many coins you can send. You need to pay shipping and insurance, and include in your check enough to cover return postage and insurance. It's really a bargain.

Kapimono likes this.
  16. Mark Oliver

Got it, thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted