I got these in a big log that I purhased last year

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by phankins11, Apr 15, 2015.

1. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

and I think they are kind of cool...i sold everything else...but kept theses... I'm not a huge world coin person, I only have enough buffer space in my computer for US coinage.

I don't know why but these speak to me :) Thought I'd share.

1923CommerceIndustrie1Franc.jpg 1943Ned1Cent.jpg

Dave M, J.A.K., jj00 and 5 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Was it hard to dig them out of that "log"? LOL.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Ya beat me to it!

Endeavor and tommyc03 like this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

\Common enough coins but loaded with historical associations. The first reflects the economic chaos following the first World War. France did not suffer as much as Germany but for a country supposedly on the winning side, the population, resources and terrain were pretty beaten up after 4 years of trench warfare.

The second is a horrible looking coin and nicely reflects the situation in Holland under Nazi occupation. A dark, gloomy coin, an ugly design and unattractive material.

Older coins tend to have a story attached, modern ones just make money for their minters and traders and parasites like grading companies. For the price of having one modern coin graded you could have a mason jar full of coins with enough history and geography to last a lifetime, or more reasonably, a year or two.

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'll let you grab the next one Frank ! LOL.

Endeavor likes this.
  7. augie b

augie b Member

I just get corn lol

8. phankins11

awe dangit! I'm horrible at double checking...Lot....not log...lot

+1 on that. That is part of the reason I kept them. I also think the Franc has an art deco style inflùence, which caught my eye.

that's just not right

dwhiz likes this.
  9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

***BREAKING NEWS***

Coin collectors are buying logs in record numbers!

tommyc03, Aidan_() and phankins11 like this.
  10. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

11. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

I like that one franc piece phankins. ;)

I am? Oh yeah, I am! lol :D

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Beat me to the punch!

13. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I only buy certified logs.

tommyc03 and Endeavor like this.
  14. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

Nice log, uh, I mean coin. I would love to have that good for one Franc coin...

Endeavor and phankins11 like this.
  15. phankins11

you can't, it's all mine :D

tommyc03, Endeavor and 712 like this.
  16. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I am mostly a collector of 20th century world coins, for some of the reasons others mentioned: affordable, historical, artistically pleasing, etc. I sense some wonderment in your post. Why don't you collect more world coins? Imagine owning an uncirculated French franc like the one you have. What a beauty those coins are. The other coin is in pretty nice shape. I go through s lot of the zinc coins and they tend to all have whitish corrosion/oxidation that wouldn't result in a clean grade I'd imagine. And it's interesting how this zinc coins turn black and look more like they were made from charcoal. I always notice the silvery color on our post-1982 cents that shows through sometimes on our cents. Will this turn black too over the decades? Were these zinc world coins silver colored when first minted and uncirculated? Does anyone know? I'm not too familiar with the metal

tommyc03 and phankins11 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted