I got metal detecting stuff today!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -Andy-, Feb 9, 2016.

1. -Andy-

-Andy- Andrew B. -Andy- YN

Me and my brother ordered a Ace 250 and a Bounty hunter pinpointer! I can't wait to test the stuff out!! :)

heuvy31, NSP, HunterOhlsen and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Good for you two! Many happy hours are ahead! We will expect pictures of all your finds.

heuvy31 likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Have fun with the metal detectors. I've been metal detecting for over 30 years and finding coins, jewelry, or and artifact is always a thrill!!
    I bought a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger years ago and it still works perfect!

000_6671.jpg

5. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Good luck with the hobby, you have many years of fun ahead. I started in 2013 and have been hooked ever since. My first metal detector was also a Bounty Hunter.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    heuvy31, tommyc03 and Markus1959 like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Bravo to you. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun. Let us hear how that pin pointer works. I've been think of picking one up but my bad back says I need to hear a bit more about these before I make the investment. I'm using a Tesoro Golden Sabre II, which is strictly tonal but serves me well. Old school yes, but I'm used to it. I've tried others but the screens distract me to much.

heuvy31 and Markus1959 like this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I still have my Bounty Hunter from 1979 with the VU meter. My back up.

heuvy31, coinman1234 and Markus1959 like this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

To make sure it works properly, you need to test it at Fort Knox or the West Point Mint.:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

Chris

heuvy31 likes this.
  9. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

good luck and have fun! i have the ace 250 as well, works great, watch the CD that comes with it, worth it...

heuvy31 likes this.
  10. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

I bought 2 ace 150 at a yard sale for $35...Sold one, and essentially got one for free plus a small profit:cigar:
    Unfortunately I haven't utilized it yet because I have no idea where to utilize it:oops:

heuvy31 likes this.
  11. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

and check your state laws also, here in jersey it's illegal to detect in state parks and historical areas...

tommyc03, heuvy31 and Markus1959 like this.
  12. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

And read up on how to cut a sod plug so it goes back into the ground without any noticeable damage to the area. Don't want to leave the area looking like a family of prairie dogs moved in!

micbraun, tommyc03 and heuvy31 like this.
  13. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yes #1 rule "always fill in your hole"

heuvy31 likes this.
  14. omahaorange

omahaorange Active Member

Good for you! There is a wealth of information on metal detecting scattered throughout the internet. Do your research there. In addition to the ethics of detecting, there is tons of information available to research specific areas near you that may be good hunting spots. Also research your local laws.

I got in detecting a few years ago by my wife. About 14 years ago my son wanted, and got, a detector for Christmas. It was a Radio Shack-branded model (actually a Bounty Hunter). Like everything else with a kid that age, he used it for a while, then lost interest and moved on to something else. A couple years ago my wife found this detector in the basement, cleaned it up, put new batteries in it, and went to work. Like, every weekend. So I got her an Ace 350, and all the gear she needed to get started. Also picked up a EuroTek Pro and more gear. No large caches of buried treasure (yet :() but we have dug up some fun and interesting local artifacts in the past three years.

You'd be surprised at the interesting history surrounding your local area. All you have to is "dig" for it. Good place to start is your local library, or, if you have one, local historical society.

And let me add that the FIRST thing you should do, before you put the coil to the soil, or even install the batteries, is read the user manual and watch the instructional video. Garrett's web site has some good information for beginners.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    tommyc03 and heuvy31 like this.
  15. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

heuvy31 likes this.
  16. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

17. HOLLYWOOD

HOLLYWOOD Active Member

18. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

tommyc03 and heuvy31 like this.
  19. heuvy31

heuvy31 Active Member

Congrats Andy, I started the hobby a year ago and have the ace 350. It's definitely a lot fun. Good luck and HH!

coinman1234 likes this.
  20. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

All of the above mentioned detectors are sufficient for the hobbyist. There is another company called Mine Lab which also makes detectors for the U.S. government but way too pricey for the average detectorist. If you live near water you also might want to invest in a waterproof coil. Besides possibly finding coins you might also snag a few lost lures.

heuvy31 likes this.
  21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

check out FMDAC.org

also on facebook.

Draft saved Draft deleted