i got emailed by a counterfeiter

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by WingedLiberty, Oct 8, 2010.

1. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

This is scary ... when will the madness end?

This is the email I got.
    Has anyone else gotten similar emails?

Is there any way to report these people?

Dear friend,
    I am China coin seller ,i make Replica PCGS coin ,they have very high quality ,
    please see picture
    http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx230/rarecoin/

i can put any coin into PCGS box ,if you need please contact me ,
    also you can buy a few coins ,
    you can check the quality first ,when you pleased with the coin then buy more coins ,
    i am sure that you sell these PCGS coin will let you make a lot of money.
    ps:the coin not mark "copy"
    Best wishes for your family!
    Your friend:Taylor

swift taylor [pcgscoin18@gmail.com]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

The faked coin in a PCGS slab is to me, the most frightening. I guess the best way to counter this type of counterfeit is to check the slab serial # on the PCGS web-site, I know NGC lets you do this if you are a member, does PCGS offer a similiar service?

4. PCGS lets you do this whether or not you are a member. TC

5. WingedLiberty

problem is ... the counterfeiters know this ... and put the right coin with the right serial number

6. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I have read several articles on the China counterfeiting. It is legal there to make foreign (not Chinese) coins. I am positive that whenever detection methods are revealed, they take steps to correct the flaws. I truly believe there are traders and dealers who would sell them for the huge profits.
    again, another reason our hobby is in trouble and why collectors don't get proper value for their items for sale. Sad, really sad.

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If I were you, I'd forward this e-mail to PCGS. I'm sure they would be interested.

Chris

8. WingedLiberty

Done! Thanks for the suggestion.

9. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

Have you ever bought a copy/replica from China on eBay? This is how your friend Taylor might have acquired your email address.

10. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I do not know where to tell you to go with that, but there has to be somewhere. Maybe GDJMSP or LostDutchman has some ideas.

12. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Report this guy to ebay and pcgs!!! He is basically saying in the email that he is trying to sell you fake coins and you can make a lot of money off of them!!! Creepy!!!

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

14. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Wow. Makes me think about some of the coins I've purchased...

15. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

Don't EMail the seller... Talk to your local secret service office and see if they are interested... if not try your local US attorney.

16. Evom777

Evom777 Make mine .999

I was talking to a dealer last Sunday about this very thing. He said that He has heard about these fake slabs coming in by the motherload.

What is the composition of these fake Morgans and Peace dollars? Are they 90% silver and 10% copper like the legit ones, or do they vary?

17. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

From what I've been able to determine, most of the slabbed fakes are 90% silver. Remember, they don't have to be in a slab to fool some dealers.... this was the basis for Susan Headley's little experiment at the F.U.N. convention a few years back, and written up as a two part article in Coin World.

18. Merc Crazy

FWIW;

I emailed him, he's asking the equivalent of a months' salary for a factory worker in china... per coin!

I forwarded the email along to a friend who works in the DA's office.

19. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Telling PCGS about it should create an investigation and take care of at least one person, mfg or whatever they can get! The problem is is that there are many many of these sonsabeaches and one can only realize that fellow Americans and other ppl from other countries are into the same krap-can of illegal activity and need to be exposed!!

I just gave ebay the heads up, not that they don't already know or anything but the more who know, the better!!

20. Doug21

Doug21 Coin Hoarder

Is it illegal to buy these "coins" not marked copy ?

If not it should be.

I think you can get arrested for possessing fake drugs....like Marijuanna that looks real enough but is not actually Pot.

21. Merc Crazy

Never heard of that... and I believe it's illegal to knowingly purchase counterfeit goods for resale, but not to purchase them for use/consumption/etc.

However, I think they can be seized at any time, regardless of intended use.

Draft saved Draft deleted