I got cobs...

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by John Anthony, May 2, 2015.

1. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I know little of these, but I have been wanting to collect some because of their importance as US colonial coinage. Looks like these have enough detail to make them all identifiable, some counterstamps as well.

If anyone has any advice as to reading material, I would appreciate it. They came out to 3 bucks apiece. Is that good or too much?

cobs1.JPG

cobs2.JPG

Ancientnoob, J.A.K., Numismat and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

I've been wanting some silver cobs myself

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Nice group! I really like these early maravedi coins because there is a large variety among them, they have tons of historical significance and were used in so many parts of the world. And even with all that they are very affordable and can be easily acquired by anyone that wants them. The examples you posted also have nice surfaces. Often they have whitish/greenish crud all over them.
    The counterstamps are really just re-valuations.

rzage likes this.
  5. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I've looked at a lot of cobs , and I think those are fakes . At least they don't look like most Spanish cobs I've seen . Most you will see at least the cross .

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I'm surprised people would think they are fake. They look typical of copper cobs of the era and even though $3 is a good price, it's not far off from what they usually sell for. Especially if you are buying them in bulk/wholesale. The copper cobs should in no way be compared in appearance or price with silver and gold cobs. These are orders of magnitude more common.

rzage likes this.
  8. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Interesting set of old Spanish coins.

rzage likes this.
  9. rzage

Dang , my bad . I was thinking of silver reales . When someone mentions cobs I always think of silver or gold , I never thought of copper .

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto

rzage likes this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Perhaps "cob" is the wrong word here? These certainly aren't the silver cobs denominated in reales and fractions thereof. @doug5353 Thank you for the link, I'll give it a good read. Are they properly called maravedi?

At any rate, if they are fake it's no huge loss.

rzage likes this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

There is alot of maravedi on VC. I have eyed a few myself, especially the ferdinand & isabella coppers. I just havent got any.

Ancientnoob likes this.
  13. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

they all look good to me JA, i'm not a cob expert but i have a few. online reference material for these things is very thin. revaluation marks "8", dates, and in the background monograms of the kings of spain or what's left of them (the "dolar sign" looking symbol for example).

here are my "cobs"...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ancientnoob, Paddy54 and rzage like this.
  14. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Like a few others, I never think of copper pieces as cobs. I thought these looked too primitive (and too cheap) to be real. I sold a maravedi on eBay about two years ago, raw grading XF, and was happy with the price I got, but the word "cob" was not in the listing.

15. rzage

Good thread !!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted