I got 3 1957 silver certificates from work today.

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Zako, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

So today at work I was doing a curbside order handing a young lady her order and sometimes we get tipped directly for doing so and this lady gave me 8 bucks and it just so happened that 3 of the bills were silver certificates. They're not us great shape but still this is the first time I've actually got silver certificates from work.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Young lady you say? She must of gotten to her dad's collection :shifty:

midas1 likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

clearly, especially since they are all different series.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I got a few SC's from work, but this was in the 80's and early 90's.
    Also a red seal US note $5.
    I can imagine the owner taking them to an LCS and thinking they are going to get
    2 or 3 dollars apiece, after seeing them in flea markets and EBay, etc. And then
    being offered $1.10 each or less and just leaving and spending them.
    (Or they were snatched as previously mentioned).

-jeffB likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Glad they fell into your hands. What a nice surprise but I don't think her dad's going to be to happy when he discovers they're missing.

7. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

I have no idea how the lady got them but it was a nice surprise and they're the oldest bills I got from work

NOS likes this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I don't know why people are jumping on the "must be stolen" bandwagon for these. I've got quite a few $1 silver certificates, heavily worn, that I'll likely end up spending somewhere down the line. Like @Michael K said, it's not worth a trip to a coin store to sell them. And if I do spend them, maybe I'll make the day of someone like OP. :)

DarkRage666 likes this.
  9. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Look at it this way, you doubled yo money tip !

10. Terrifrompa

Terrifrompa Member

cool. I worked retail for years and got a few along with Walkers, Buffalos, Kennedys, Franklins, and even an Indian Head cent.

11. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Or somebody else's dad's collection.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Even though they comprise three different series, being they're well circulated it doesn't say much whether they came from a collection or were swindled from dad's collection.

They could have just as well been randomly stashed away in the early '60's and then recently found by an heir going through grandma's belongings. From there they could have just been spent or brought to a coin store and told they're not worth much more than face value.

And others have speculated in another thread on the coin area of the forum that finds such as these (silver coins and the like) will become a lot more frequent over the coming decade as those who have been holding onto $$$ since the 50's and 60's will be dying off in abundance due to the passage of time.

-jeffB likes this.
  13. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Who knows how the girl got them. All I know is its a better find than the 1957 or 1958 wheat pennies I normally exchange out for lol

14. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Yeah... I mean most of them, especially in that condition, aren’t more than face value... I thought about buying a few off Etsy for like $2... most of them aren’t worth more than face value and even when they are, they’re worth like a dollar more

Draft saved Draft deleted