I gave $200 to NGCS for NOTHING!!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by irishman, Jan 15, 2007.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Just curious, what was the code on the body bag ? You say you tell the dealers it is fake - there's quite a difference between a fake and a problem coin - is it fake or just a problem coin ?

By the way, I disagree that the coin being slabbed diminishes the chances of it being sold again - I think it does just the opposite. There are far, far too many people out there who only buy the plastic. They'd see that PCGS slab, a low price and buy it in a heartbeat. Only later, when it's too late, would they discover they had a problem coin.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

The coin is a fake, the S was added. This one will not get out into mainstream, its now in a 2x2 here labled for what it is. Actually I am thinking I will send it to the ANA for their use in detections. Doug, most people are under the impression that all of the fake coins are being made now or atl east in the last 5-10 years. This coin was in a collection and hadnt been looked at since the early 70's. There are some really good counterfiets out there in the SVDB, this one has the dip in the O in ONe, the two die gouges etc.. The only thing I see on it is the S seems flat and thats how it came back body bagged. Added S, I dont recall the code number they designated to it however.

I really dont think that "most" dealers care if its real or not to be honest, they can turn it and make a profit, Like the person who I bought this from, 30 years have gone by, The dealer has been deceased for 10.

There is a dealer near here that has one that he tried to sell me about 2 months ago. XF45, nice looking coin, BUT... it has this same flat mintmark. I turned it down adn told him to send it in, It comes back clean its sold. He sent it in, came back bad (As i suspected) he still has it in his showcase for sale RAW. When I asked him about it he said, OH, I will tell anyone who asked about it that "I THINK THAT ITS A COUNTERFEIT" We had some words when he said that to me. But thats another story..

Jim

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Jim
    Is that the S VDB that you posted photos here that we pegged as fake?....if not how about some photos??
    Maybe the grading company messed up----I know that can happen.

Speedy

5. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

If NGC decided to upgrade your level of service (or even if they talked you into agreeing to it) and charged you for it after you had indicated a different level on the submission form, shame on them and I feel you are rightfully upset over their actions.

I would also be upset about the bodybagging as they have slabbed other coins with more severe problems than yours! (Just read the descriptions of some of the NGC and PCGS slabbed rarities on the 'net such as 1804 dollars, 1894-S dimes, etc.) That is just one of the problems I have with tpgs in that they seem to have no problem breaking their own policies when it suits their fancy.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

That's what I wanted to know :thumb:

I agree with you about the dealers, all too many of them will sell a coin like this in order to recover their own losses. And any way you look at it - that is just wrong. I will also say however that a great many dealers lack the knowledge to be able to identify an altered coin like this - they are taken in just like everybody else. Too many of them don't know as much as they think they do.

7. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I agree Doug---I trust my dealer on almost anything---but when it comes to ID'ing alered coins I don't as much---I've seen some 1932-D Quarters that I'm sure were added MM and he disagree's---and other such things...

Speedy

8. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Thats the one!

9. john×13

john×13 New Member

I don't see a picture of the coin anywhere in this post..?? Can someone please tell me where the picture of the coin is.
    Thank you, John.
    05/01/2016

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  10. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Because the thread is 10 years old and the OP hasn't been here in along time, Jan 19, 2007 to be exact

john×13 likes this.
  11. bender9876

bender9876 Active Member

Because their policy says they wont. Just because a person spends money without reading everything he,s mad? I dont get it. Kinda like buying a steak & the seller says its close to being bad & you buy it then complain about it to the world

12. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Just a bit of irony in your reply considering this is literally a nine year old thread...

13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Never have figured out why a new member signs up and, within seconds, goes running into a dead thread. There's just something incredibly stupid about it.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Many times they come here for a specific question or coin, and use the search for that subject , and doesn't see the long ago date at the bottom. I wish it was larger and in color, but eventually most of us learn.

Insider likes this.
  15. Gary Scott

Gary Scott New Member

I never sent any coins in to be Graded..so when i do it surely will be Annacs..I don't wear gold and diamonds,Just an old man on SS with a Hoby

16. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Well, I'll confess to being stupid as I made that mistake several times. I did not know posts were numbered either! :facepalm:

Also, the old threads have LOTS of great info. I'm reading them. It is too bad they can't be edited and posted as "Everything you wanted to know about XXX."

What about a: "Features & how to use CT" as a must read before sign up. I've found most of the features on CT to be more well done, thought out, and easier to use than most other sites! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted