I GAMBLED on eBay - and I liked it!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BigTee44, Feb 5, 2013.

1. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

This was my $5 gamble over the weekend. we'll see if it turns out to be anything. made this gif, let me know what you think.

[​IMG]

Obone likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Here's a nice eBay gamble, sort of.

These are the sellers pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Description said proof like surfaces with golden toning throughout.

Now I wasn't able to take any where close to a professional style picture, but I was able to clarify some things and now you can have a better idea of the coin in hand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the mirror reflecting well:

[​IMG]

It was impossible to photo, but overall a very nice coin.

There's an ugly black spot at about 12:05 on the reverse. If I ever crack this out I would try and put some localized dip on that spot to try and fix that. Such a shame it's there because this coin is pretty awesome in hand.

gbroke and BigTee44 like this.
  4. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

gbroke and treylxapi47 like this.
  5. Travlntiques

Obone, carboni7e, Weston and 4 others like this.
  6. treylxapi47

I'm sending this coin over to @gbroke for some better images so I can finally show the color to you guys. It's been long enough that I figured I needed a professional to photograph this one. Those seller pictures were terrible and this coin is pretty awesome in hand. Hopefully we will have an update for you next week BigTee!

7. treylxapi47

This coins has quickly become one of my all time favorites and a highlight piece of my collection.

I'm sending this one to G for some photography excellence as well. Surely he will be able to more correctly capture the look of the coin.

I am still sorely tempted to crack this little mama out and attempt either a brief corner dip or a localized toothpick drop of dip on that absolute black spot at 12:05 on the reverse. She is too beautiful to let that ruin the coin and it's so black I'm afraid any more progression will completely kill the coin.

I've even thought about NCS for the job, but I'm afraid they will perform a full dip and turn the coin blast white instead of that creamy gold with the bits of color.

It's a tough call on this one, but for now I'm leaving her as-is until further contemplation.

8. rysherms

rysherms Alpha Member

dude that coin is a beauty. keep a close eye on it. if you see it growing, then consider a localized treatment. but i would be super careful because when i scrolled down and saw your pic vs the sellers, i almost didnt believe it was the same coin.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  9. treylxapi47

I'm sure some of you remember this coin from a few months ago. I never was able to get a picture and I finally sent a lot off to Greg @gbroke and here is the shot. Now keep in mind this coin was deep in the slab on the reverse and was still quite difficult to photograph.

So here's the update @BigTee44........finally

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393204145.112501.jpg

Nice die clash in the right field!

Obone and BigTee44 like this.
  10. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

We were looking for a nice, inexpensive SLQ T1, and found these blurry pictures on eBay, took a shot. Will update when the real thing is in hand - shield looks mostly intact, but may have some residue on the obverse. 1917slq.JPG 1917slq2.JPG

11. Travlntiques

Here's a new one! Sellers photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My photos:
    DSCF9536.JPG DSCF9543.JPG
    The best part was the price at only $11 :)

12. Travlntiques

This one is from last month and I'm currently working on another even nicer Morgan, but here it goes......Sellers photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Travlntiques

Let's keep it rolling!!!!
    Sellers photo, note the 1959:
    [​IMG]
    My photo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

some great stuff!

Travlntiques likes this.
  15. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

Here's an MS63 Liberty nickel I took a chance on for just under $89 with shipping:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's what I got:
    1912 Liberty 1.jpg 1912 Liberty 2.jpg 1912 Liberty 3.jpg

Travlntiques likes this.
  16. Travlntiques

Dripping in luster & beautiful gold toning! Fantastically well done KSorbo......I want it!

17. admrose

admrose Member

[​IMG]

First row is before Thad's Verdi-care, second row is after.

My cost? 90 cents

Travlntiques likes this.
  18. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

This is an awesome thread.

Travlntiques and treylxapi47 like this.
  19. Travlntiques

I love that now Red-Brown British Cent! NICE!

Here's another for me that just arrived yesterday. The slab was so scratched that I had to hit it with some "headlight lens restorer", which should have cured by now. But no photos yet......so the "after" will be left to your imagination till tomorrow!
    Sellers Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Travlntiques

Tomorrow eh? Well, the weekend kind of filled up :)
    Here's a few attempts at a good shot......the rainbow sure looks different with the slightest change in lighting. DSCF9738r.jpg DSCF9747r.jpg DSCF9744.JPG

21. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

Here's a follow up on this one - received the coin... a little better than pictured, but the little spot I was worried about was still a spot when the coin got here - tried a distilled water soak, no success. I hate to go any further and disturb the patina. That's for the next owner...
    140037.jpg

Travlntiques likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted