I GAMBLED on eBay - and I liked it!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BigTee44, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I gamble on ebay all the time. I find it better than auctions but not quite as good as a good coin show.

4. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

This one was $65. eBay pics:
    $_3.JPG $_3 (1).JPG

Coin in-hand:
    $_57.JPG $_57 (1).JPG

Weston, vlaha, McBlzr and 7 others like this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sellers photos & description:

AU 1909 S:

[​IMG]

now in ANACS holder:

[​IMG]

vlaha, McBlzr, BadThad and 3 others like this.
  6. BigTee44

Gotta ask, how much did you score that one for? Did you know it was s/s?

7. Treashunt

I got it for AU price and nope, didn't know the S/hor S until I got it

ThinnPikkins, C-B-D and BigTee44 like this.
  8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I have a few irons in the fire now...I'll post photos if they're successful. ;)

9. superc

superc Active Member

I am finding this to often be very true. I had several almost complete sets I had inherited, many poor coins. So, in memory of the deceased I started buying similar almost complete Whitman and Dansco books. Sometimes for fairly low prices compared to what the greysheet says some of the specific coins named should sell for. <More than once a whole album was sold to me for less than the value of one coin in it. A Washington quarter album I got for about $380 on Ebay has/had an almost mint 1932S in it as a for instance. > Anyway as I collect them I both fill holes in the albums I inherited, and often I find specimens several grades above what my relatives or friends had acquired in their pocket change. Substitutions ensued. I now have several 1916D Mercury dimes of varying grades. I finally decided I was satisfied with my former wife's Peace dollar album and the pre-64 Roosevelts. Nothing in it not mint state and mostly unscuffed. I am still playing with her Mercury set however, but let me say that with 20 or so Mercury albums acquired after her death 90% of it is now mint state. I am sorting the albums as grade 1, 2 or 3. State 1 is the inherited sets. Ideally I will eventually have nothing lower than grade 60 in any of them. State 2 is the debatables. One MS Morgan looks a lot like another. Past a certain point, what do you do when you find 4 or 5 mint state Benjamins of a given year? Okay 1 goes into the grade 1, put the others into grade 2 folders. So slowly the purchased grade 2 folders begin to fill with ms and the AGs move to the grade 3s. Yuh, appreciation that eventually some of the grade 2s will also become grade 1s, and some of today's grade 3s will slowly become grade 2s and new grade 3s will be created as new purchases are made. I have several full album books now that are pure AG - VF, but I still have a few grade 1s with coins that need replacing with a better grade. [Very few vacant spaces in the grade 1s (mostly in classic coins), thanks to low priced albums found on Ebay.] I debate if I should stop trying to convert 2s into 1s and just start selling the grade 3 albums, or part them out. I am sure sometime in the next 4 or 5 years I will arrive at a decision. :)

gbroke likes this.
  10. BigTee44

wheres the update?

Travlntiques likes this.
  11. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Not much of a victory here because the sellers photo did 2 things; 1, accentuated the almost nonexistent hairlines (good for me), 2, masked the severity of the "T" shaped graffiti (bad for me). All and all, I'm quite happy with it though!
    P.S. ~ I think there is somthing going on with the second "8"..... Don't believe it's the 18 over 7 variety, but it's something :)
    $_57.JPG DSCF9742.JPG

Attached Files:

12. Treashunt

Trav:

Probably O-111, R-1

Travlntiques likes this.
  13. Treashunt

14. superc

superc Active Member

In spite of the scratch, I like it. Liberty is nice and crisp. How are the wings on the reverse?

Travlntiques likes this.
  15. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

Thank you very much Frank, it's good to know.....even if the coin is only an R-1 :)
    Superc, the wings show only minimal wear and E Pluribus Unum is nice and strong. I did attach the reverse shots, but you have to click on them.
    It's amazing what different lighting can do!

16. Treashunt

scratch?

Are you referring to the one behind the head?

17. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the glaring scratch on the face.

18. superc

superc Active Member

Yeah, the T carved into her cheek. Reminiscent of a long ago, far away war (peace action, LoL) where the insurgents would return to the village and carve similar cuts into the faces (or did worse things) of those who collaborated with (means talked to, or were polite to, worse fates for those who actually helped) govt. soldiers. Insurgents won. End of story.

19. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Haven't been able to take quality photos to show the coins true beauty. She was a nice one though.

I asked Santa for a camera for Christmas, so hopefully the issue will be remedied soon.

BigTee44 likes this.
  20. BigTee44

Here's my latest, very happy with this one.....

Sellers pics
    00.JPG 000.JPG

My pictures still in 2x2... not a scratch on the face, it's tape
    barber1.jpg barber2.jpg

McBlzr and C-B-D like this.
  21. Treashunt

BigTee

Nice rev die cracks.

BigTee44 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted