I Framed My Completed Dime Folder

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Endeavor, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I had a wall frame sitting around unused so I thought it might be a good idea to use it once I completed a dime folder I was working on. After many months I finally completed the folder today (hooray)!

In order to fit the folder in the frame I had to cut the 2 spines that connect the boards which made it tri-fold. I also had to trim the ends a little. All the cutting and trimming no longer made it a folder but I didn't care (folder was only $4 anyway).

Now that I got the 3 boards which hold the dimes separated and trimmed, I placed them into the frame. It was a nice snug fit. It worked out perfect and I thought it came out pretty nice. I now have it hanging in one of my rooms!

Just after framing, still resting on chair...

Dime Folder Framed (1).jpg

Hanging on the wall...

Dime Folder Framed (6).jpg

I turned off the lamp and ceiling lights cause they were causing too much reflection when taking photos. So I got these next photos with camera flash only. Noticeably darker but less glare...

Dime Folder Framed (4).jpg

Dime Folder Framed (3).jpg

Dime Folder Framed (2).jpg

You can tell the 1992-D (towards top right) is toned. I have to keep an eye out for a shiny one to replace it. The dates of the folder are 1965-1999 (P&D), but there were undated slots at the end so I filled it to the last slot which ended up being 2003-P.

That's all Folks!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats neat!

Endeavor likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

nice job

Endeavor likes this.
  5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Wow! I like that.

Endeavor likes this.
  6. onecenter

onecenter Member

Marvelous display.

Endeavor likes this.
  7. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Very cool. Nice job!

Endeavor likes this.
  8. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Got to say I like it alot!! Good work!

Endeavor likes this.
  9. DUNK 2

DUNK 2 Well-Known Member

Those are some good looking dimes. You should cut a whole in the wall to show the reverse. :woot:

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Great job . Looks great too . I'd like to have that for my 20th century type set .

Endeavor likes this.
  11. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Great Job :)

I hope your wall safe is NOT behind the frame :stop:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    silentnviolent and Endeavor like this.
  12. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

That is fanrastic! I've wondered about how to display my circulated folders, because they just sit there on a shelf, but they are the holes I've had the most fun filling. They keep me looking at my change. I really like this idea.

Endeavor likes this.
  13. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Well done

Endeavor likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's pretty neat!

Endeavor likes this.
  15. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

great display always wanted to do one like that..

Endeavor likes this.
  16. mackwork

mackwork Caretaker of old coins & currency

Very nice!

Endeavor likes this.
  17. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Very nice! Are these the Cu-Nis, or are there silver here too? What grade ranges do you have? I could see where this would be very attractive with all nicely matched uncs!

Keep an eye on these in this folder - there is a potential that the album could cause toning (which may be a good thing!)

The only comment I would have is that the left- and right-most columns seem to be cut off. Perhaps you could very carefully trim a sliver at the joints in the middle, and move everything more toward the center.

Endeavor likes this.
  18. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

I LOVE it!!! I wish I could exhibit coins like that! What I have done is I bought several Capital plastics frames-the 5 inch by 8 inch, 5 by 6 inch, and 3.5 by 6 inch versions, then I took out the inserts and made my own custom cardboard cut outs to arrange my 1929-2009 U.S. year type series of coins the way I wanted. There are 508 coins in this year type series. It is by far my all time favorite set, but I am still seeking someone to help me post images for anyone interested to see it.

Endeavor likes this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Looks great!

Endeavor likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Endeavour, I must ask, did you use paper to seal the back of the frame? If so, what type of paper?

Endeavor likes this.
  21. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

No silver dimes. All are 1965-2003 circulation coins. The grades range from fine (a few of the older ones) to uncirculated. I would say most are XF/AU. Unless you stand right up to the frame (like a foot away), you really can't tell the difference in grade. They are mostly the same color so they all look the same.

As I was filling the folder I would also replace some of the already filled slots with better grades, when found. For a long time the 1973-P slot was filled with a dark toned dime (nearly black). It stood out and took away attention from the other coins. I really hated it. I only kept it there to fill the hole until I found a better one. I disliked that dark toner so much that I was actually hoping to find a replacement more than one of the empty slots to just to get it out of there.

Then the most incredible coincidence happened!... I found a normal-looking '73-P on the same day I found the last date needed!! (which was yesterday). I wouldn't have framed it if the dark toner wasn't replaced. The last date found was 1978-D, in case you're wondering. So the '78-D and replacement '73-P were the last two to be put into place. Now I just need to get the brown toned 1992-D replaced. But that's not as big of a deal to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted