I found two 1988d nickels n the d is in a different spot any one care to commit

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Connie Frost, Jan 14, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

I have a 1986 Cent with a similar thing - the "D" is facing downward. I wasn't sure what it was about. Is it the same with hand punching with Cents until 1990 which makes this kind of thing normal? And does this mean I didn't discover a multi-gazillion-dollar Cent?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Like you and member Connie Frost I thought I found a gazillion-dollar coin in change until I read a post in here from way back on 06/30/19. Got a wheatie 1956 & Denver had the D placed high near the 9 & the 5 of 1956. Did enough reading to find out unless the mintmark covers other stuff (date, portion of president's image, etc.) it's not very valuable. It even happens when foreign countries hand punch marks.
    An article from Coin World (12/15/12) summed it up, "It is not unusual for U.S. coins struck before the 1990s to show slight differences in Mint mark locations. It is more unusual to find a coin on which the Mint mark is touching another design element. Mint engravers normally reject such dies as unacceptable. Remember, however, that tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousand of coins can be struck from a single die pair, so such varieties are not considered rare."

Good Cents likes this.
  4. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

Hope springs eternal...

Lueds likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted