i found an almost uncrulated 1992 close am penny and i want to know what its worth

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by dart787, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

This is a gammar nazi's worst nightmare.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Its "opinion" but is beyond the point. Sending the coin would be a second opinion, but if you're not willing to spend a couple bucks.... you're coin, you're money.

With all due respect, do you really think you are going to get this here, especially without posting a photo?

4. dart787

dart787 New Member

i hope it works

Attached Files:

• pen1.jpg
      pen1.jpg
      File size:
      34.1 KB
      Views:
  5. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

Thanks for the picture! Are you using a magnifying glass or loupe to look at the "AM"?

6. dart787

dart787 New Member

both

7. cremebrule

cremebrule Active Member

Is it possible to put your loupe and/or magnifying glass in front of your camera to get a closer shot of the AM?

8. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Guess we'll just have to see. I don't find any info on ha or ebay on completed auctions for this (as much as can be found on their sites) and there is one graded one 92 D on ebay at AU 58 - NGC slabbed (by that the owner wants about 10 grand for, and he hasn't gotten. There's one at ha - MS64, PCGS that will be auctioned in July this year, and goes on viewing on 6/23, but who knows what it will go for.

Most of the websites (free) that have pricing info aren't putting a price on the WAM/CAMs at this time, and the printed guides in mags (NN, others) and red books aren't much help.

So what I did was go to my 5th ed of Vol 1 of the cherrypickers guide. It gives variety "values" of both the 92 D CAM and the 99 WAM. As far as the 99 goes, the values given are a bit lower than they last were when I checked, basically a value of 250 for a MS63 vs about today's value of 350 or so for that grade, and 350 for a MS65 vs today's value of about 550 for that grade. For the 92 D info on the CAMs the CPG (2009 issue date) gives values of 25 for AU50, 35 for MS60, 50 for MS63 and 75 for MS65. So, even though the coins have less examples, for some reason, Fivas/Stanton put a much lower value on it. Now that could be wrong, and probably is, but unless you can give me actual examples of price on this, or someone else can based on actual sales, this is the basic info I took it from. I put that with my experience that the lower the grade (based on comments I've gotten on mine and other things I've seen....on the 99 WAM....is that it seems to be valued at about 50% (give or take) of the next 2 steps higher.... so a 550 MS65 goes to 350 at MS63, 275 or so at MS 62, 150 at MS60. Then from a dealer you might get these prices or more or less. Depending on the market. The dealer might buy a raw coin for as little as 40% or less of the "market value" based on how quickly he thinks it will turn over. I also have experience, at least in my area and one other area, that coin shop dealers don't want anything to do with the modern "varieties" as it's not what sells in their shops. So....

The OP and anyone else is free to take my opinion of this and what he can get as an opinion, but it is based on published data I could find and circumstances of coin buyers not paying retail for a coin they want to turn over and sell.

You're welcome to give me different info if you choose.

Sure....I based the info I gave from the info I had, and if you have opposing hard info as to selling prices of this variety and the sources, please do let me know.

9. dart787

dart787 New Member

no my camera is a dsi

10. dart787

dart787 New Member

so what do you think i can get for it

11. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

Dart... how far to the nearest coin shop? That's where I take any coin I have for a quick sale. My local dealer is five miles away, so it's not a problem.

12. Kasia

I don't even know what condition it is or whether there is damage to the coin that would stop it from being "graded". Nor do I have confirmation it is a CAM, or more info on the pop reports or all. I've seen only a poor pic where I can't tell for sure that it is a CAM, and can't see the PUPs on the coin to verify it. How can I say what you can get for it (assuming you want the "most" you can, and the fastest)? What I will say, is if you can sell it for what you would be happy to sell it for (on a local basis), then perhaps you should. But that is going to take some leg work....either going to a show and finding a dealer that will want to buy it or advertising on Craigs list and taking your chances there.

My thoughts is that unless you can prove that it is worth more, and can put an accurate grade on it, is that the value is what you can get for it, and not able to be accurately determined. My personal thoughts is that someone selling a raw coin like that may just get less than 30 for it. You have to be willing to do more work on getting it evaluated and find more info that I could to put a different price on it.

13. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

To me, the blurs look a little to wide to be a cam...

If you want a value, it's 1¢. Face value. That's what every coin is worth until you find out differently.

14. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Just for future reference, don't put too much weight in CP values (coin dependant, of course) as doing so is a mistake waiting to happen. Also, I am all too familiar with how dealers buy. You are spot on with most B&Ms not having the market or interest in such coins, but this does not take away from the fact that if real, this coin would be much more valuable than maybe $20 in any grade. I would not have said anything if all I had to go on were assumptions. Even without handling Lincolns it would not take much of an effort to find a strong buyer. As for your sales records, here is a start....

http://teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=3033&lot=1255

http://teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=3239&lot=1271

http://teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=3279&lot=1499

For what its worth, I find it good and admirable that you took the time to research before posting.

16. Kasia

Well, now. That is really sweet; I gladly take back everything I said about this one, and will simply recommend that this person get his coin verified by someone who knows the coins and also verify the PUP and the fact that the coin has not been manipulated. Certainly worth the while if it's real.

And I definitely want to find one on my own.

Thanks for the info. :smile

17. dart787

dart787 New Member

you almost gave me a heart attack

18. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I dano abot you buht i wood tayke that coine to the klowset coine chop und half an expurt look at it if it reely is uncrulated u mite got lyke 900 thosand doralrs 4 it!

K thx bye.

19. dart787

dart787 New Member

i did but he said it was worth nothing but i know it was worth alot

20. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

Is it sad that I can read that with ease?

21. dart787

dart787 New Member

ya but is he right

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.