I found a seemingly copper 1985 P nickel, but not much info about it. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Scott Vand, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Scott Vand

Scott Vand New Member

My mother in law found this copper nickel yesterday, and after doing some digging, the only info I could find was on this site in these threads:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ex...error-1985-photo-summer-2008-by-richie.44566/

and

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1941-copper-color-nickel.70023/

Here are some pics of the coin. The color is darker than photos show. Much closer to the way the comparison photos display.

Managed to find a 1985 D for comparison.

So what is this, and is is valuable?

I can upload the full individual pics if needed.

Thanks for the help lol.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

are you sure that's not just grime on it ?

4. Scott Vand

Scott Vand New Member

Yes, I am sure.

5. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

not an error -

'environmentally damaged surfaces'

6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

your coin is just damaged not an error

7. Scott Vand

Scott Vand New Member

I am convinced this coin was either made with a copper surface, OR plated with copper at some point.

I will try to clean it up better, but I can guaranteeing it has a copper coating of some kind.

8. Scott Vand

Scott Vand New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Scott Vand
    As the others stated.. Just Environmental Damage.
    Here are some of my Nickels and Clad coins that changed color due to exposure to dirt, soil, sand and the elements. I found them metal detecting - 20190316_113034-1.jpg

Your nickel is worth 5 Cents

Clawcoins likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If you want to ask for opinions here, then explain why they're wrong, well, you're far from the first to do so.

You may want to Google Fred Weinberg's name before you discard his advice, though...

11. Fred Weinberg

It's not copper plated or coated.

See the handful of coins two posts above.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The depth of the color varies from light to dark depending on the amount of Nickel (2) oxide that develops from soil exposure or chemical exposure to an oxidizing environment. Paddy's collection covers the range. Jim

13. Clawcoins

If you look at your nickel, you'll see that the high wear spots (rim, high spots of bust, verbage) are worn down back down to the nickel. If this was copper plated how exactly would that happen so evenly and consistently?

Look in front of Jefferson's nose .. looks like someone wiped it clean there; or he blew his nose.
    upload_2019-3-21_15-22-13.png

14. Scott Vand

Scott Vand New Member

Thanks for the pic. Looks like that might be the case. Just trying to upload one last pic, and am having bad luck doing so lol.

No ill intent from me, just trying to show what I can see.

I am trying to upload a pic. Yes the copper is wearing off. But it IS copper.

I do appericiate the feedback everyone, I genuinely do. Please just bear with me for a sec to show you what I am on about. I am not used to this sites format and am having no luck getting a pic to show up in a reply.

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When is the next full moon? Does anyone know?

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. Clawcoins

I quite frequently clean up gunked up coins in a acid bath. this includes pennies with nickels, dimes, quarters in one big lump.

The acid etches off the pennies copper and baths the other coins in it. Giving them all a copper wash.

nice long dip in coca cola can do about the same thing.
    so .....
    but they wear differently than what you posted. And yours looks like it has other types of stains.
    upload_2019-3-21_15-36-4.png

17. Scott Vand

Scott Vand New Member

The button was right there. Whatever is on this coin is very polished, and unlike anything above. (Edit: except the post directly above, didnt see it before posting this) Are you guys absolutely sure this couldnt be a copper nickel like the posts linked above?

Attached Files:

18. Fred Weinberg

19. Scott Vand

Scott Vand New Member

Gotcha, well thank you everyone for the information. Sincerely, great and helpful community.

Just for fun, what would a real, 1985 P copper nickel run for?

20. Clawcoins

are you asking about an incorrect copper planchet, or an annealing problem ?

21. Scott Vand

Scott Vand New Member

Whats that supposed to mean?

Draft saved Draft deleted