I found a 1947 Wheat Penny. Errors 1 (947) & Liberty. Whats my next step?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by TF629, Nov 18, 2018.

?

1947 Penny value? Is the 1 missing?

1. Yes the 1 is missing

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. To much damage

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TF629

TF629 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Too much damage.

4. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome To Cointalk
    PMD post mint damage not a mint error spend it.
    Dave

I_like_Morgans and furryfrog02 like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Next step.. Coin jar heading for Coinstar machine.
    But It will probably reject it with so much damage :yack:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  6. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

The 1 is missing because it was damaged by something, which practically obliterated the 1. PMD (post minting damage) not an error.

I_like_Morgans likes this.
  7. TF629

TF629 New Member

Thank you .I'm new to this hobby. I was told I needed something to keep me busy since I've been back from the sandbox. Any advice of what I should be looking for from 1957 - 2018?

8. coin roll

coin roll Active Member

Pakistan?

9. TF629

TF629 New Member

No ... Any diamonds in the ruff I could find worth anything? Between 1951-2018 any coins? I can't tell from the internet that would be a really worth anything

10. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@TF629, first, welcome to CT!

This is a great site, not just for "aged" collectors, but also for newbies! :smuggrin:

Personally, I would call the coin you posted a "keeper" - at 71 yrs old with the battle scars it has, it could really tell some stories, even though it's only worth the cent that it is.

First, I would advise that you collect what YOU like, what is attractive to YOU. As you will see as you peruse this site, we all have different preferences.

Secondly, although one may profit from flipping coins, the reality is, you must become extremely knowledgeable in grading, & spend an enormous amount of time honing this craft.

You might start by getting a "Red Book" - it can be a used copy, anything in the last 5 or 6 years should suffice. Ignore the prices, but this book will provide you with enormous amounts of information regarding mintages, varieties, etc. There are other books you can get regarding grading, etc. but the "Red Book" would be an excellent start. (..but do not, under any circumstances, by any book that suggests you can make money from pocket change!)

If you can, visit a coin show - it will really get your juices flowing, & you will have an opportunity to see different grades & how grades matter. You can accumulate a lot of knowledge doing this & talking to dealers.

You will find there are so many options to coin collecting, which makes it a fantastic hobby.

Good luck in your endeavors! :happy::happy::happy:

JeffC likes this.
  11. TF629

TF629 New Member

Thank you so much. I truly appreciate that advice and I will run with it thank you. Now question what does this mean these lines that go through the coin as if the copper wasn't mixed correctly or finished correctly

Attached Files:

12. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted