I found a 1945 wheat penny...no mint.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Katie, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Katie

Katie New Member

I found a 1945 wheat penny with no mint. However, the "I" in LIBERTY looks to be italicized. Any comments or information is more than welcome!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hi @Katie ! Welcome to the neighborhood.

Your Lincoln cent is from the Philadelphia Mint. Oddly enough, 2017 will be the only year in which the "P" for the Philadelphia Mint will be placed on the Lincoln cent.

As for the "I", it probably took a slight hit from some object. It doesn't take much to move the copper around on the pennies. We see it all the time, particularly on the date.

Chris

Katie likes this.
  4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Sorry, but it's just a worn 1945 Cent. At some point after it was minted the "I" was damaged so it isn't a mint error (Machine Crimping the end of coin rolls is notorious for this). It is worth the same as a common wheat cent (a few cents). No mintmark indicates that it was made in Philadelphia.

Coliiin and Katie like this.
  5. Coliiin

Coliiin Member

The "I" is not italicized. The coin is not in good enough condition to even worry about errors unless being a DDO/R or like a 180 degree O/R rotation. The defect has most definitely been caused by the coin having been worn and marked up by other coins over its lifetime since its departure from the mint as I see these types of defects all the time in my collection of 1909-1958 pennies (G to about XF). I'd consider this to be an error if and only if a grading service such as PCGS had told me otherwise or the coin was AU+. I hope my opinion helped as I have been collecting many, many coins over the past decade and have dealt with a lot of errors that have been questionable as well have a fair share of DD coins, major rotated O/R, off-centered O and or R, and even conjoined coin dies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

We wanna see

Newbie69 likes this.
  7. Coliiin

Coliiin Member

See what? Why are you trying to start up something?

8. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Just would like to see some of your cool errors. Don't want any trouble.:happy:

9. Coliiin

Coliiin Member

I sell almost all of the good ones that I find since I don't specifically look for or collect error coins.

10. Coliiin

Coliiin Member

Sorry forgot to reply to your post, but check what I said in my last.

11. Tazz Williams

Tazz Williams New Member

I dont know if agree,think you should look into it a little more. Cuz i have recently found a 1945 wheat with the same l trouble. Yhonk it would be a little strange if theres 2 identical Penney's did this happen to get hurt the same way I don't know I'm just saying

12. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It has been well documented that roll crimping devices can shift metal devices on the surface of a coin. This can be anything from a full ringed gouge to just pushing a digit or letter. I used to have a copy of Frank Spadone’s Variety and Oddity of US Coins published in the early 70’s that comments on this, so it’s been known for awhile.

You also need to consider the die making and minting process. There is no place in the process that can produce this type of error. The mint cannot make s single die with a crooked letter since they come from a master hub. And remember, the raised letters and digits are in relief in the die, so any damage to a specific die would not only have to cut into it to form a crooked letter, but also fill in the area where the letter was originally. This can’t happen.

If you look at enough coins, you’ll occasionally come across a crooked letter or digit. Now think about a crimping device works and take a look at a crimped roll. As the metal “fingers” force the paper into a tight roll, they can come in contact with the end coin and if the depth is just right, it will push the thin area of raised metal (letter or digit). You can even see the scrapes on the coin if you look at it under magnification.

Hope this helps explain the cause of this type of damage and why it cannot happen at the mint.

charcole64 likes this.
  13. Edanga

Edanga New Member

Found a 1945 wheat error high W and low E . Can anyone give any info.

14. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Pictures

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

See what? It's a 1945 cent. No mintmark means the Philadelphia Mint. Only 2017 had a P.

16. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

All the errors in the quoted post.

17. Leeroy Sagiao

Leeroy Sagiao New Member

I also found a 1945s wheat back and the T in liberty is missing one side so looks like a 7

18. Collecting Nut

Sounds like it took a hit and the T is damaged. Only a photo needed to be sure.

19. Cody Fout

Cody Fout New Member

i found a 1945 penny with a busted chin Lincoln's chin is half gone perfectly does this mean it's worth something or not?

20. Collecting Nut

Post some photos in a separate thread.

21. Cody Fout

Cody Fout New Member

I've never seen anything like this

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted