I found a 1944 Steel Penny. Is it real?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by indyfinn, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dj Shift

Dj Shift Active Member

I have a zinc plated 2012 penny. I got it at a science fair from a pile of them. Maybe yours came from this travelling science fair i was at too.

Or i may be wrong and you have a coin worth a few thousand dollars.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

When I was a kid we use to take mercury and coat the cents with it

4. superc

superc Active Member

:( I had one of those once. Left it in a cheap jewelery box in my parent's house and a burglar took it.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Gee... ya really think so? ;)

6. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I had always thought that the Belgian 2 franc coins were struck on leftover blanks from the 1943 steel cent fiasco.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Round those stell cent weights to two places and you will see that the are the same as the Belgium 2 franc. Some were probably made from left over planchets, some from left over strip, but they made so many of them they probably made some new strip and planchets as well just for the belgium coins.

8. superc

superc Active Member

Luster??? LoL! Most of my 43 cents can best be described as ~RUSTY~. True I do have 2 in VG or better without rust, but for the great majority,.. Rusty is the operative word.

9. FRANCISCO R

FRANCISCO R Member

Was
    Hi i found this looks 1943 d dd copper cent i test it wit magnet ready weight 3.1g got pics

Attached Files:

10. FRANCISCO R

FRANCISCO R Member

11. FRANCISCO R

FRANCISCO R Member

Heres more pics any one cud tell me condition please?

Attached Files:

12. FRANCISCO R

FRANCISCO R Member

Back sid3

Attached Files:

13. FRANCISCO R

FRANCISCO R Member

Dnt stick magnet

14. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It is a 1942 d not a 1943, it is a perfectly normal cent worth two or three cents, only the 1943 was made of steel.

15. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

No, it's not steel.

16. FRANCISCO R

FRANCISCO R Member

I got 1942 cent I compard them I used 10x magnifying glasss not only it looks like 3 but double 3 inthe pics I took the loop is hanging down also emailed pics to local dealer wants to have it authenticated an certified so they would told me 42 but totaly visable on the 3not faded not alter the whole 3 is connected not cut off at a point solid I seen 42 I have 3coins dnt compare u mite want look my pics more carefuly blow the up ull see double three in front of it!!!!!!!!!

17. FRANCISCO R

FRANCISCO R Member

And what I know during war as in WW2 COPPER RAN OUT STARDED MAKING STEEL CENTS BY ERROR THATS KNOWN 40 COPPER O BRONZE CENT WHERE MADE FROM THE 42 COMPOSITE ONLY 12 KNOW FOUND THERS FAKES DIPED COPPER OR CUTING OFF FRONT O IN HALF 8 BUT TELL ME IF IM WRONG

18. FRANCISCO R

FRANCISCO R Member

So I think carefully examined it loook like double die 43 d copper cent beautiful specimen! Bs u NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Did you post a photo of the wrong coin? The one pictured is clearly a 1942 that could in no way be mistaken for a 1943.

20. Jabbss651

Jabbss651 Member

Yea i dont see what your talking about... Not only that but the pics are pretty blurry. It just looks like a original 42d cent...Nothing more.

21. FRANCISCO R

FRANCISCO R Member

Ok ill take better pics 43 42 coin so u cud see that 2 dnt cuurve down word at the end of it like tat one old 2 stright line of 42 stops sum short at the hump or not passing the hump never passes hump and curve down like a tail and in front of the 3 thers second 3 shy but still visable and in the back

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.