I found 2 1958 D pennies would like an opinion?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Corrina, Mar 26, 2019.

?

Can someone please review

1. What's is worth?

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Second opinion please

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Corrina

Corrina Member

I found 2 1958 pennies going thru our change jar. With my luck it's probably is not the real deal but like my son said Never say Never!!
    I don't have a microscope to look closely. So I would appreciate some feedback.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I don’t see anything that even remotely suggests the possibility they’re not real. They’re not particularly valuable, but are still perfectly collectible.

4. Corrina

Corrina Member

Thank you for feed back , I've just recently started looking at old coins on you tube. How does one determine value. It looks like the date is doubled. And the letters but I don't have microscope. Is this something u can tell just by looking at ?

5. Patrick M

Patrick M Razor edge MD

Use you smartphone and zoom in for a closer picture.

6. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

They seem to be very pretty coins and maybe did not circulate much.

7. BooksB4Coins

First, if genuinely interested in coins I would strongly and most respectfully suggest you be very careful with what you believe coming from YouTube. I hate to say it, but there’s an awful lot of garbage info spewed there and largely because channels focus more on views and subscribers than presenting only solid information beneficial to the hobby. It’s also worth mentioning this forum isn’t perfect either, but the more knowledgeable and caring members are usually sure to counter and correct misinformation.

As for value there simply isn’t a blanket source that can place one on every coin, and most price guides are inflated for one reason or another. Although not perfect, a search of sold eBay listings can help give you a general idea though, but be sure to remember there’s fees coming out of that sold price and must be taken into consideration.

As for doubling/varieties, below is a link I also strongly suggest you check out, being sure to spend some quality time digging through the different options listed on the left hand side of the page. In particular he sure to read the “how dies are made” section as well as the “doubles die” and “worthless doubling” sections. Please take a look, let us know what you think, and feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.

Welcome to the forum.

ddddd likes this.
  8. Corrina

Corrina Member

Thank you...I

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Corrina!

There were almost 801 million of the 1958-D struck for circulation, and I'm guessing that these two probably came from a roll or tube that was saved all these years because 1958 was the last year of the wheat leaf design for the reverse. However, "bright and shiny" and more than 60 years old doesn't necessarily mean that they are valuable.

Don't stop asking questions, and learn all that you can. This is a fun hobby that can be very rewarding.

Chris

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. Common date and very nice looking. Worth about a nickel.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CoinTalk, if you find something like this
    [​IMG]

you got big bucks. Keep reading here to see other lesser coins that can still bring you money.

12. Corrina

Corrina Member

Thank you all for your feedback.

13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

You'll find out that YouTube is actually the last thing you want to use to "research" coins. They're made for clickbait and more often than not contain total falsities just to get a click, like, advertising bait, etc.

14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Where is the link? ;)
    http://doubleddie.com

Spark1951, Corrina and ddddd like this.
  15. Corrina

Corrina Member

16. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The one that looks "redder" in the picture appears to be Mint State. Using the roll bid number from the "Greysheet" a dealers' wholesale pricing guide, the bid is $7 for 50 pieces which comes to 14 cents. The retail price would be 50 cents to a $1 unless you have it certified which could push the price to over $100. BUT I would not recommend that because of the chances of winning that lottery are equal to winning the Power Ball drawing. Grading that coin would not be worth the cost. These are the mysteries of certified coin grading which many of us who have been at this for over 50 years do not fully understand.

The second piece, which looks "white" in the proto might well have been cleaned and is only worth a couple cents or so.

17. Corrina

Corrina Member

Thanks alot appreciate the feedback .

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Basically your coins are worth about .03 cents each and here is why.
    Yes they are in good condition and book retail value may be as high as .15 cents. (The second one with more original mint luster.)
    But they made a ton of these and there really is no market for it.
    It's true if you were to find an MS-68/69 there would be value there. But even coming out the first day from the mint and never circulating, it would still be difficult to find such a coin, much less one that has been out and about for 60 years. The nice one
    was probably in someone's collection for many years as it doesn't seem to have circulated much. Sometimes these get released into circulation by accident. Kids find them and spend them. Other times, people finally realize they aren't worth anything and spend them, or, a non collector ends up with them (after death) doesn't know or care about them and brings them in to the bank.
    The second one I would put in a 2x2 and keep. But there's no real value there.

19. Katana

Katana New Member

I have a few 1958 wheat pennies one is more reddish copper tone or red die idk what they call them others are just dark copper look can anyone tell me if the red color coin are more valuable

20. BooksB4Coins

It’s a little more complicated than that, but unless talking about very high grades the difference is negligible.

21. BooksB4Coins

Haha... thanks, Paddy. It’s nice to know someone pays attention since I clearly can’t. ;)

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted