I finally got an owl!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Ajax, Nov 11, 2016.

1. mcwyler

mcwyler Member

That's gorgeous

Mikey Zee, Jwt708 and Cucumbor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

What do y'all look for in an Athenian owl? Do you look for a "full crest"? (I've heard that term thrown about, but not entirely sure what qualifies? Does it mean that some crest is visible, all the way around? Or something else?) Do you look for "full nose"? (I've heard a couple of guys mention that)

This seems to focus a lot on the obverse... but the reverse seems just as important to me. What are you looking for on the owl side?

Do test cuts bother you? I see several with them, but a few without them. Personally, a test cut or punch mark (bankers mark) would be an instant no-go for me, but it doesn't seem to bother many of you.

So I guess, in summary, what are your criteria for a "superb" owl?

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Obviously the price goes up as you add more bells and whistles ...

=> test cuts, small flans and off-center obverses and/or off-center reverses will lower the coin's price ... I guess it depends upon how much coin-cash you're willing to pay and how many bells and whistles you can live without (I realize that my test cuts reduce my coin's mintiness, but they don't bother me ... and I actually think they add a bit of history to the ol' gal)

Doug often comments that he likes these coins when they have Athena's nose on flan and a smile on her face ...

Obviously, a well-struck and well-centered coin on a big flan will cost you more than a coin that shows zero-crest and/or is missing a few of the other cool details.

I am certainly "not" an expert on these coin-types, or even a person who claims to know anything about them other than they're super cool and that they are an example of a classic ancient Greek coin!! ... but there are a few dudes on this site that seem to know the era and evolution of these coins and hopefully one or more of 'em will chime-in with some comments on how to determine one from another.

Sadly, as stated earlier by others => these babies seem relatively expensive considering that there are always many examples available!! (I guess people merely love 'em, so they'll pay whatever it takes to score one of 'em?)

physics-fan => good luck with your owl hunt (they're pretty cool)

5. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

here is another KAMARrev.jpg owl!

6. PMONNEY

PMONNEY Flaminivs

here is another one ! KAMARrev.jpg

TIF, Puckles, dlhill132 and 4 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

There seems to be an echo :p.

8. physics-fan3.14

Nah, its just so nice we got to see it twice!

Bing likes this.
  9. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

Here's mine. Attica Athens AR Tetradrachm Athena obv. and owl reverse 440-404 BC:

Athena and Owl obv.jpg Athena and owl rev.jpg

TIF, Puckles, dlhill132 and 7 others like this.
  10. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

This whole thread is great! I love the pictures of all the owl coins. Now I need to get me one......there is going to be a run on owls directly, and the price will skyrocket...

11. Bing

Hope you find the one you want and at the price you can afford.

12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I really hate you people.........................now I am going off to sulk in a corner...

Jwt708 and Mikey Zee like this.
  13. Bing

I seem to do that a lot.

Jwt708, Mikey Zee and Kentucky like this.
  14. TheMont

TheMont Well-Known Member

Some people on this tread indicated they might be interested in getting an Athenian Owl. I think I'm allowed to post where they are on sale. I am not connected to the company, I just got an e-mail from them listing the sale. Go to Modern Coin Mart's ancient section on their website to check out the prices.

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Call me unreasonable. I like girls with noses. There are many mint state coins with either poor style or style from a later period when Athens was not such a world power. I'd rather have a nice VF of good style than a coin with nothing going for it other than being unworn. The whole point is the things exist by the hundreds of thousands. I once (years ago) saw a dealer at a show offering a pick out bag with at least a thousand owls (mostly Classical) at $500, your choice. Who buys coins from a $500 junk box? You do not have to pay too much for too little coin. There is enough demand that you are unlikely to get a coin that is great in every way for a low price either. Some of us would rather have a test cut than a nose off flan or an off center reverse. Some of us would be happy with any coin marked Mint State. Pay your money and take your choice. Should I mention you might want to have 5 or 10 each with different styles from different periods and different faults.

Theodosius, David@PCC, Ajax and 2 others like this.
  16. physics-fan3.14

I'll take the 5 or 10. You can keep the flaws ;)

Attached Files:

Bing likes this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, @Paran0IdPsych0 , welcome to CT. How old and where are you? Different kind of owl, here's one I got recently Troas Rev.jpg Troas Obv.jpg

svessien, Bing, expat and 1 other person like this.
  19. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I plan to get an owl some day, but the current prices seem a bit out of proportion to me. Every auction that I see seems to have 20-30 of them listed, which isn't strange considering the hoard of up to 30,000 (According to some guesses) Owls that was found a few years ago.

I know that it's a desirable coin and prices have already come down significantly, but considering the number that are constantly available, the selling prices do not seem sustainable to me. I mean, are there even 30,000 people in the world that know what an Athenian Owl even is? (I know it's more than that, but you get my point)

Kentucky and expat like this.
  20. Thats my first one. Dont know much about it including the year other than its a bronze tetradrachm core, I believe. still has alot of character to it.

Attached Files:

21. Attached Files:

Kentucky and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted