I finally found one of these

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Orfew, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

For the last year I have been looking for the dynastic reverse Vitellius denarius. I have missed several in different auctions throughout the year but finally got one a few minutes ago in the Heritage auction. The portrait is worn (the coin is graded VG) but the legends are rather nice for a coin in this grade.

Needless to say the slab will have a brief meeting with my hammer after it arrives.

Not only is this an interesting denarius in its own right it also happens to represent a landmark for my collection. This Vitellius completes my second complete 12 Caesars set in silver. :D

Please post your coins of Vitellius or your favourite coins from the 12 Caesars.

Vitellius (AD 69). AR denarius (18mm, 2.95 gm, 5h). NGC VG 4/5 - 4/5. Rome. A VITELLIVS GERM IMP AVG TR P, laureate head of Vitellius right / LIBERI IMP GERM AVG, bareheaded and draped busts of the children of Vitellius (Aulus Vitellius Germanicus Junior and Vitellia), facing one another. RIC I 101. Rare.

vitellius RIC 101.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's nice! It's well-centered and has good surfaces and has seen some honest circulation well into the Flavian period. The icing on the cake is that it completes your 12 Caesars set!

Orfew likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

That is a pretty nice looking denarius. I've been reading quite a bit about the 12 Caesars lately. I think I would like to complete a set of them myself though I think it will take quite a while. Congratulations on completing your second set:)

Orfew likes this.
  5. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Coingrats on the double dozen! And I'm not going to quietly say how jealous I am of that reverse with Vitellius's kids.. But I WILL TYPE IT IN CAPS, I'M SO JEALOUS OF THAT SAWEET REVERSE!:D:bigtears:
    Here's my sole Denarii of Vitmo:
    CollageMaker Plus_20184522155822.png
    Vitellius
    AD 69. AR Denarius
    minted at Rome, Jul.-Dec.
    AD 69. Laureate head of
    Vitellius, right. Reverse :
    Libertas (Liberty) draped,
    standing facing, head right,
    holding pileus and scepter.
    RIC-1005; BMCRE-3

dlhill132, Justin Lee, Ajax and 17 others like this.
  6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Quite the find!

Orfew likes this.
  7. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

I like that reverse with the kids, that's pretty awesome! Congrats on the BIG 12 second completion!

Orfew likes this.
  8. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

9. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Congrats on picking up a very rare coin seldom seen. My only Vitellius. 2015-01-07 01.07.48-3 (550x264).jpg

dlhill132, Orfew, Ajax and 8 others like this.
  10. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Excellent find, and a nice example too. Also, congrats on finishing The Twelve in silver!

Orfew likes this.
  11. Orfew

Here are my two 12 Caesars sets in virtual trays.
    12 caesars group.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 10.35.03 AM.png

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  12. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Big congrats Andrew completing not one, but TWO Seutonius 12 sets!!! Wow, and the finish line is really cool with that new V-Man with the kids!

I have a V-Man in my Seutonius 12 Set.
    RI Vitellius 69 CE AR Denarius Pont Max Vesta Seated.jpg
    RI Vitellius 69 CE AR Denarius Pont Max Vesta Seated

And this issue is one of favorites...struck during the first 2 weeks of March, or the LAST two weeks of Caesar's life:
    upload_2018-11-30_17-6-27.png
    RImp Julius Caesar Lifetime P Sepullius Macer AR Den 1st 2 weeks-Mar 44 BCE 4.03g. CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled - Venus Victory sceptre star Syd 1074a Sear Imperators 107e Cr 480-14 Rare

Paul M., Ryro, dlhill132 and 11 others like this.
  13. Orfew

Thanks Brian. I love that Caesar denarius of yours.

Alegandron likes this.
  14. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've always liked that type, nice addition.

Orfew likes this.
  15. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Wow. What an iconic Vitellian type! A forerunner to the Vespasian dynastic denarius struck a year later.

V16a.jpg

Congrats!

16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic dynastic, Orfew!

Orfew likes this.
  17. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Wow Orfew!... that is an amazing coin on it's own.. but to have a 12 Caesars set in silver twice (!!) is pretty amazing. My favorite coin of yours is the lifetime Julius Caesar as probably many would agree. You have an amazing collection.

What is your next goal? Is it steady improvement on examples you currently have within these two sets, or variations within these rulers? or are you moving your focus?

As a new collector still finding my way I like to understand what motivates other collectors...

Sorry I do not have a Vitellius to share

Orfew likes this.
  18. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Congrats on getting the 2nd set of the 12 Caesars - quite an accomplishment. I have 5 left to get in my first set - Tiberius, Claudius, Otho, Vitellius, and Galba.

Orfew likes this.
  19. Orfew

Thanks @Clavdivs , I really like my JC portrait as well. I waited a couple of years to find the right one. As for the next goal, I will keep on pursuing my 3 main interests: The 12 Caesars, Historical figures as dramatized by Shakespeare, and the family of Eleanor of Aquitaine. Regarding the 12 Caesars, I am actually 3 coins away from a third set. This one, however, is not all silver. It contains bronze provincials of Augustus and Tiberius.

Thanks for your interest.

Andrew

Paul M. and Clavdivs like this.
  20. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Congratulations on a scarce Vitellius! A nice, endearing type as well.

I had a 'thing' about Vitellius ever since I found these denarii two a long time ago.
    After that, I focused on finding a Vitellius sestertius. Found a few but none in great condition.

Vitellius denarius-Mars-obv - 1.jpg Vitellius denarius-Mars-rev - 1.jpg Vitellius denarius-libertas-obv - 1.jpg Vitellius denarius-libertas-rev - 1.jpg
    Vitellius SXestertius Seated OBV - 1.jpg Vitellius SXestertius Seated REV - 1.jpg Vitellius Sestertius Pax-Obv - 1.jpg Vitellius Sestertius Pax-Rev-best - 1.jpg Vitellius As Tarraco OBV1 n  - 1.jpg Vitellius As Tarraco REV1 n  - 1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Paul M., Ryro, Valentinian and 5 others like this.
  21. Orfew

The coin arrived today. The first thing I did was to introduce the slab to my hammer. Here is the updated photo.

Vitellius dynastic.smalljpg.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted