I finally finish my 1937 George VI gold coronation set

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by johnmilton, Oct 2, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 1937 King George VI gold coronation set is tough item. With a mintage of 5,001 sets, they are available, but mintage plus its status as the "last of its kind" for George VI makes it speciail.

The last piece I needed was the half sovereign which also supposed to be the easiest. There is strong demand from those who collect sovereigns because the 1937 piece is only George VI sovereign. The large five pound piece (It is larger and heavier than a U.S. $20 gold piece.) has become a "trophy coin" for well-healed collectors and speculators. The half sovereign and two pound pieces are not as popular.

It took a while to get this. I obtained it through the Heritage "make and offer to the owner" program. Heritage told me that the coin had to come from Europe, which made the wait longer. When Heritiage auctioned this piece the first time, they stated that these coins seldom come much better than this, and for once that was not auction hype. The piece is graded PR-66. The obverse is a full cameo Proof. The reverse is a near miss.

1937 Half Sovereign O.jpg 1937 Half Sovereign R.jpg

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Congrats on the completion of your set.

johnmilton likes this.
  4. johnmilton

I might add that if you surf the Internet looing for these coins, you will find some sharks out there. I have seen 5-figure prices on coins that are simply not worth that much. I guess if you catch one person with more money than brains, you have made your day.

It takes some to time and patience to make a "fair deal." Note that I did not say "steal."

5. giorgio11

giorgio11 Senior Numismatist

What a wonderful coin and a great achievement to complete the set! Congratulations.

johnmilton likes this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I used to have this 1 gold sovereign from Australia 1918-S high mintage. I fell on hard times and had to sell it. Do I regret it ? Sure. Was I glad to have it to help me out ? Yes.

DSC_8290.jpg
    DSC_8294.jpg

Down the road I might buy another 1.

johnmilton and Oldhoopster like this.
  7. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Lovely half sov there. Not IMO rare but scarce at 66CAM, and esp. if the price “civilized”.
    Prices on all proof earlier Brit gold have gone wild.

johnmilton likes this.
  8. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Old British Proof gold is super cool. I am hopping to get a 1911 proof one day (capstone of my mints of the Empire Set)

9. Seba79

Seba79 Well-Known Member

Super! Congrats!!

10. johnmilton

I have the 1902 Edward VII “short set” plus the two pound gold piece in a slab. The 1911 is a tall order. I hope you find a nice one!

serdogthehound likes this.
  11. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Well-Known Member

Thanks, after that comes the "king" of not circulation sovereigns the 1908-C. I am Starting to love Sovereigns big time

12. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yikes, I need your bank account!

13. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Gorgeous! The only 1937 I've got is an ex-jewelry 5 pound; got it a few years back from a UK-based dealer. Not the prettiest, but it will not be leaving my collection anytime soon!

14. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Beautiful coin @johnmilton !

Could you post the rest of the set here too?

15. johnmilton

I have posted them in another string of messages.

16. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Beautifull set! Congratulations!

Draft saved Draft deleted