I don't usually buy Celtic coins...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Jul 10, 2022.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

... but this one looked cool and the price was right:
    Carpathian Celts.jpg
    Carpathian Celts. c.3rd-1st century BC. AR reduced tetradrachm. Imitation of Philip II tetradrachm. Obverse: Stylized head of "Philip" right. Reverse: Stylized horse and rider (rider is reduced to a series of pellets), "Schnabelpferd" (beak-head) type. This coin: eBay, June 2022.

The various Celtic people of Europe issued many coins in the first few centuries BC. Many of the designs were copied from coins received in trade from surrounding peoples, and the tetradrachms of Philip II of Macedon were an important trade coinage and thus extensively copied. Many of the earlier copies were fairly close to the original design, but over time the engravers tended toward more abstract forms only loosely based on the originals. I like the style on this type, especially the obverse portrait. No-one would confuse it for the original macedonian type, but it is still clearly a human face, rendered in an abstract style that I find attractive. I'm not as excited by the horse, which has too small a head, and the hooves have turned into lobster claws, but overall it's still a pleasant coin, and the $27 price was well worth it. Please post your Celtic coins, or whatever else is related.

john-charles, Struck7, sand and 10 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Lower Danube Celt.jpg
    LOWER DANUBE CELTS
    AR Drachm
    OBVERSE: Stylized head of Herakles with wild hair, right
    REVERSE: Stylized Zeus seated left holding an eagle, kantharus to left
    Struck by the Lower Danube Celts, 2d-1st Century BC
    2.9g, 20mm,
    CCCBM I 217, Kostial 896
    ex JAZ Numismatics

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Celtic coins are cool!

I recently got my first:

[​IMG]

john-charles, Struck7, sand and 5 others like this.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

My one and only Celtic coin. I love the cartoonish horse.

Celtic 25-38 01.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted