I Don't Understand Satin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dimeguy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

Yeah, I understand Doug's point about condition rarity. Yet, your example of the Peace Dollars really cannot be applied to high mintage modern coinage. Not only are the overall Peace Dollar mintages much lower than modern coinage (creating collector interest), it took about a 100 years for the Peace Dollars to realize those prices and I would imagine many still would not be willing to pay those premiums. Let's not forget the mid 80's MS65 Morgan Dollar bubble that burst, causing ignorant "investors" to lose their life savings. As for modern coins, I've stated that in a 100 years maybe huge premiums will be the norm too. But today, for a 2010 cent, with billions made, IMO, the premiums are WAY out of line. Although I never say never, I'd speculate that at no time in history (other than today) have huge premiums been paid for high grade, high mintage current issue coins. And, since there were billions minted, unlike the Peace Dollars, collector interest is low - lots of sellers, but few buyers at today's prices. True, in a 100 years, if not many are found or saved, high grade, high mintage moderns may be worth a lot. But, I doubt anyone paying $4,000 for an ms68 2010 cent will ever recover his/her investment - yes, I mean for eternity. lol

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. statequarterguy

I know many state they don't care about the value of their coins, but I really don't believe it - even a collector does not want to over pay for a coin and would rather see it appreciate than depreciate.

To each their own. I enjoy looking for sp69 & sp70 satins. When I search rolls of business strikes, it hurts my eyes looking at all that garbage.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

See! You've done it again. Who said anything about not knowing the "ballpark" for a purchase? It's just that I don't keep track of it afterwards.

That's three strikes. "Yer out!"

Chris

5. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Breaking open the enclosed casing makes me cringe. I am not picking on Green18. I am just noting that I do not have the stomach for breaking open a proof set. I have one that broke open on its own (1964?). It is the small rectangular type. I handle it very gingerly now.

6. statequarterguy

I think you're in the wrong thread??? But I agree, never break open a proof set, unless it's to have a unique, LOW MINTAGE (inside joke) coin graded.

7. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

Alright, not to be rude, but concerning this thread the horse has been dead for nearly two pages now and I don't think it'll be coming alive anytime soon. Coming down to the point, I'll collect how I will collect and move on to more educational or entertaining threads. Nice show by all debators involved. Dimeguy is out of here.

8. statequarterguy

I don't know, but I think you're "twisting" things here. Either way it's okay, as I think I've hit a homerun with the satins. lol

9. statequarterguy

HEY! DON'T YOU KNOW THE RULES? YOU CAN'T LEAVE, YOU STARTED THIS MESS! LOL
    Yeah, I'd say it's been beat to death. Good luck to all in whatever collecting/investing choices you make.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It couldn't have been '64. It was in a "soft pack". Maybe it was the '66 or '67 SMS.

Chris

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You're still not getting the point. You still think that a high mintage number indicates that there are large numbers of high grade coins. But it doesn't. THAT is what I have been trying to tell you. It doesn't matter if there were 200,000 coins minted or 20 billion minted - the number of high grade examples in both cases is going to be very low.

You are correct about 1 thing here, current issue coins typically do not demand premiums and they never have. However, you also have to understand that it's only been for the past 24 years that a grade above MS65 has even existed. MS65 was as high as the grades went. So of course there were no premiums paid for current issue high grade coins because there never were any high grade coins.

Yes I know the grade MS70 was first used in 1977. However, there were none of them around then and there still aren't. So the 70 grade does not count.

And for the record, I am not in any way that the $4000 price tag on that coin is justified. I am merely stating that high dollar prices for high grade coins are justified.

12. statequarterguy

Yes, I understand your point. Even though statistically speaking, higher mintages should produce higher numbers of higher grades, you're saying this is not the case. Well, if statistics can be relied on (and production methods haven't changed for the worse or have improved), there should be more high grades produced with higher mintages. So, if there aren't more certified examples, it's probably due to lack of collector interest in searching for and submitting high grade, high mintage moderns. I'm saying higher mintages usually kill collector interest, so they're not looking for or buying high grade, high mintage modern coins. Granted some are buying them, apparently the registry set folks. So, unless new registry set collectors enter the market, there aren't enough average collectors to support significant premiums for high grade, high mintage modern coins in the short and maybe the long run. In the long long run, if high grade moderns aren't put away, maybe the few that were will be worth some significant premiums to some.

If I'm an average collector (okay, that's questionable) that has x to spend, I'd spend it on a low grade, low mintage classic coin, like a 1916-d dime or on some high grade, low mintage moderns (for really low premiums), as opposed to spending that same amount on a high priced, high grade, high mintage modern coin and I'd believe I made the better "investment".

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

A long, long time ago.....in a thread far, far away.....:)

14. statequarterguy

You're technically correct, as I'm talking about the days when there where only uncs, ch bu's and gem bu's. So, the high grades were called gems and one could probably cherrypick some cents for a nickel a piece that today would be graded 67 or 68.

15. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

poor gd his quote for quotable quotes is going down daily. luckily the scribes are busy writing what i say :D

16. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

harvey and green went up the hill and all of CT came tumbling after :D

Draft saved Draft deleted