I Don't Understand Satin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by dimeguy, Mar 9, 2010.

1. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

LOL! Okay, it's been hyped. But, it was hyped and continues to increase in value because of mintage rarity, not it's AG grade. It started to rise in price long ago because it was harder to find than other dates because so many fewer were made (mintage rarity). This is no new phenomenon, it's the basis of the value of most coins. Even though higher grades have always carried a premium, the premium was generally small compared to today, since most collectors were satisfied with a lower priced lower grade. Now, you can argue that today the registry set builders are supporting the “crazy” high prices, so it’s reality, but from what I see most don’t believe it will hold for the long term. Who knows, it’s just not an area, I’d be willing to gamble on. I will always choose the lower mintage coin and buy the grade I feel is reasonablely priced.

You brought up one more key point, present with most key dates. They can't be so rare that dealers don't have sufficient quantities to make it worth their while to promote them and most collectors can't afford them (creating little demand). So, a nice low mintage compared to others in the series should be sufficient to cause the coin to rises in price. That's why I like 745k for the 2008 satins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Sorry my comments I posted belonged to a different thread. ( 2010 D Jefferson NIckel PCGS MS68 )

4. statequarterguy

Hope you're following this debate. If you can't tell the difference between a business strike and a satin, try differentiating between the minute differences in mint state grades (i.e. ms68, ms69, ms70).

5. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

lol. Reading every post. Maybe one day I'll be able to distinguish between business and satins. I've tried and failed several times...my accuracy is probably worse than a person guessing off the street. As for distinction of higher ms grades I would gladly learned if my collecting pockets could afford such coins (such as the Franklins I'm putting together.) Rest assured I'm sitting back and taking it all in, as with many posts here on Cointalk.

6. blsmothermon

blsmothermon Member

Hail Satin!!! :devil:

7. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

A Little Unintended Humor

I'm reading this thread LOL, as I believe the previous statement was: "This is not true. With much experience it is easy to tell the difference. I can do it 99% of the time all day long as many others can." I believe the recognition level is now: "9 times out of 10". Suffice to say some can generally detect the difference, which I believe coincides with Dougs' general, but not the absolute statement.

I trust you'll pardon my finding humor in a trivial difference of semantics. :smile

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are several different discussions going on in this thread. One of them is about which likely be the best choice for an increase in value between business strikes and satin finish. Well the answer to that question can and will vary greatly depending the time period involved. I won't pretend that I know the answer because I don't. But what I do know is what has happened in the past and that is perhaps our best guide to what will happen in the future.

But before we consider that we first have to consider something else, that being the differences between the types of coins. Yes types, I say that because they are two different and distinct types just like a Barber dime is one type and Mercury dime is another type. Or put another way, just like a Barber dime and a Proof Barber dime are two different types.

You see, the mint quite intentionally produced the satin finish coins to be a distinct type. For over 50 years the mint produced the annual Mint Sets for collectors. For most of that period the coins in the Mint Sets were taken directly from the production runs of business strikes. So there was absolutely no difference between the coins in the Mint Sets and the business strikes. Then the mint began to make the coins in the Mint Sets in a different way. They were struck with new dies, using planchets that underwent special cleaning, they were struck with higher pressures than the business strikes were, and they got special handling and packaging to reduce contact marks. But still there was no way to distinguish a Mint Set coin from a business strike. Side by side you could not tell one from the other.

Then in 2005 the mint changed everything. They decided that the cons in the annual Mint Sets would be produced differently so that one could be distinguished from the other. They gave the Mint Set coins a satin finish and a new coin type was born. From then on one could always tell the difference. The Mint Set coins were specially produced for collectors. And because of that they became just like Proofs which are also only produced for collectors. The mintage numbers are even similar, a bit smaller perhaps than the Proofs but similar.

So to see what is likely to happen in the future regading the values of these coins one only needs to look at what happened in the past with the values of the business strikes and the Proofs. The result - grade for grade, in most cases the Proofs are worth more.

So in time, the same thing is likely to happen with the satin finish coins. Only question is how much time ?

Now one of the other discussions going on in this thread regards condition rarity. And as I have said before, when most people think of condition rarity they almost always think of newer, more modern coins. But condition rarity has been around as long as coin collecting has been around. The nicest examples of any given coin have always been worth more than those of lesser quality. This is true of any coin you can name from any time period you can name. The higher the grade, the more the coin is worth. Nobody ever questioned this, it was taken for granted.

But in modern times, a new wrinkle was thrown into the mix. Suddenly the existence of the numbers of coins in high grades came into question. It was considered that because mintage numbers were so high that there simply must be countless examples of high grade coins sitting out there in people's closets, drawers, safes etc. They just had to be there someplace. And the explanation for this logic was simple, it was because there were so many of them made, and that out of such huge numbers a great many high grade examples just had to exist - they just had to, it was simple logic.

But people tend to forget things, they also tend to not consider all the facts. Things like those huge numbers. If for example I were to ask you in what year did the mintage number of any coin go over 100 million how many of you could answer me without looking it up ? I'll wager very few. Then suppose I ask in what year did the mintage number exceed 1 billion ? Very few could answer that either.

Well, this may come as a surprise, but the first coin to reach over 100 million was an Indian Head cent - over 100 years ago. The first to go over 1 billion was a Lincoln cent of course, but it was in 1945 - over 60 years ago. And by 1955 mintages over 1 billion became routine, they were the norm. Now those are pretty huge numbers, any way you want to look at it.

But yet how many of these coins exist in these high grades ? By what I can see from Heritage there are a grand total of 5 1907 IHC's in MS67 and none higher. Does anyone really believe that there are rolls and rolls and bags of 1907 IHC's out sitting in drawers just waiting to be discovered ? I rather doubt it.

No whow about that 1945 cent with over a billion minted - how many high grade examples of those are there ? According to Heritage less than 50 in MS67 with 1 higher. So same question - do you believe there are lots of them just sitting in drawers waiting to be discovered ?

So how close to the present to be we have to be to find the year where there are huge numbers of these high grade coins sitting in somebody's house just waiting to be discovered ? The 1990's - the 2000's ?

Well it has been said that the population numbers don't prove anything. You might think that at first glance. But when you examine those population numbers looking at coins with huge mintages from 50 years ago or more, you find that the number of high grade examples is pretty dang low. And when you look at coins from 2000 that number is still under 1000. And that's out of over 13 billion examples.

I submit to you that it is no different with the most modern coins than it was with those of the past. There are no huge numbers of high grade examples just sitting out there waiting to be found. The coins simply don't exist in high grades in huge numbers. The belief that they do is a myth ! And that myth will be disproved in the future just like it was disproved for the coins of the past that also existed in huge numbers.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Well said, Doug!

It's pointless debating this issue with SQGuy any more. He has his opinion and I have mine. He can go ahead and chase the "mintage rarity" satins, and that will be one less person I'll have to compete against for the high-grade biz strikes.

Chris

10. statequarterguy

Yeah, I'm ready to move on to another debate, although I'm sure this will come up many times, as it continues to, as there is no correct answer, only differing opinions. I like Doug's analysis, with a few caveats. First, I’ll go along with comparing satins to the silver proofs, since the low mintages are comparable. As for business strikes, although there are only a few high grade 1907 IHC’s certified, many more probably existed and back then people didn't care or did know how to preserve them, which does matter because now you have grade rarity. As for modern high grade business strikes, same thing, there are probably many more out there than certified and many of these high grades will be sitting in rolls and bags, waiting to be discovered, as today most collectors don’t care about them and many collect bags and rolls - yet, still the surviving population of modern high grade business strikes could be low. The big questions are, how many other than registry set collectors care, since they lack the underlying mintage rarity and how long will it take for the average collector to care about a high mintage high grade coin, a 100 years or more or until they can't find one themselves from available bags and rolls? Now, this isn't meant to offend anyone, only to make light of the issue, but a dealer once told me, when discussing modern business strikes, "There are a lot of dog turds out there too and I've only ever seen one green one, but I'm not willing to pay you anything for it".

11. GDJMSP

Just remember my favorite saying - people believe what they want to believe.

Of course the difference between us is this - you base your belief 100% on assumption; I base my belief 100% on proven facts. Reckon time will tell which one of us is correct.

I will agree with you on this - I aint gonna buy any of them either.

12. statequarterguy

LOL! Hey! I'm using history too, not just assumption. Now, if you want to take this analysis further and assume (I know we shouldn't assume) grade rarity is/will be king, as the hucksters on HSN told me last night, why not cherrypick sp69 & sp70 satins and pr70 silver proofs? In that case you'd have grade rarity and mintage rarity in one coin. Even though I like the satins and silver proofs more than business strikes, I recognize the potential of all of them and I do cherrypick high grade business strikes. I know I could be missing the boat by not selling them now, but I'm just sealing them in Air-Tites and putting them away. I guess I'm not willing to pay to get them certified, as with my luck, the high grade bubble could burst by the time I received them back from the TPG'ers. But, if the "crazy" prices continue, I'll have mine and some to sell.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

14. cpm9ball

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, Felix did provide a visual aid......:)

16. GDJMSP

The point you seem to be missing is that condition rarity has always been king regardless of mintage.

Yes, coins of known low mintage are typically worth more than similar coins of higher mintages. But when push comes to shove, those coins that are always worth the most are those of the highest grades. It has been that way for a thousand years and it will always be that way.

17. statequarterguy

Hmm, I don't know about always. Back in the 60's and 70's, before the marketers latched onto the grade rarity "scams" we see today, there was little interest in any high grade "moderns". If anyone even stocked moderns, one could buy the best examples of a cent for a nickel and they didn't sell even at that price, let alone at huge premiums. The only interest I saw was in high grade, low mintage coins.

I know comparing the 60's & 70's to today is a bit like comparing apples and oranges, but I still see the majority aren't willing to pay much of, if any, premium for a high grade, high mintage coin.

Now, like I said before, I can see cherrypicking high grade, high mintage coins to speculate and maybe sell a few. But, I can't, won't, don't believe anyone paying exorbitant prices for them today will do anything but lose on their purchase.

18. statequarterguy

The video pointed out that to assume is to make an "ass" out of "u" and "me".

19. statequarterguy

Let me ask you this. If you believe high grade, high mintages coins are a good "investment" at todays prices, why would you not be willing to buy them? That's the problem with the prices of these coins. Everyone is willing to sell at these prices, but few (the ignorant) are willing to buy.

20. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think you are missing Doug's point entirely. He is simply stating that the concept of conditional rarities is not new. It has always been applied to classic coinage and now it is being applied to modern coinage. His other point is that conditional rarities will drive much higher prices than coins that just have low mintages. I think that everyone needs to remember that coin collectors come from every financial background. It is widely accepted in numismatics that you buy the best quality coin that you can afford. There are many collectors who basically have no limit to their available funds and can and will pay top dollar for the very best quality coins they can find.

For an example of a traditional conditional rarity, let's look at Peace Dollars. The 1928 Peace Dollar is widely considered the key date of the series whereas the 1928-S has a much more typical mintage for the later dates of the series.

1928 Peace Dollar: Mintage (360,649)
    1928-S Peace Dollar: Mintage (1,632,000)

In XF40, the 1928 Peace Dollar drives a price of $300 compared to $30 for that of the 1928-S. But move up to MS65 and the situation changes drastically. In MS65, the 1928 Peace Dollar has a population of (316/13) and a price tag of $3,150 (Numismedia Wholesale). Compare that to the 1928-S Peace Dollar which boasts a population of (85/2) and a price tag over $15K.

The price is driven by the number of examples extant in that condition. Now I will grant you that you are much more likely to find some of these high grade coins not yet certified for many modern coins, but don't think that you are going to find hundreds or thousands of MS68 business strike coins for any series, date, or mintmark. It simply isn't going to happen and those coins are always going to be conditional rarities.

21. cpm9ball

There you go again.......making another incorrect assumption. I'm not an investor. I'm a collector. I could care less about their value, and I don't even keep track of what I paid for most. Sure, I remember the prices I paid for certain coins because they're special to me, but those are mostly Morgans and Classic Commems. As for everything else, I'll let my heirs sort it out.

By the way, there is no fun in searching something like satins when a DISPROPORTIONATE number will grade high, but it is fun and challenging searching for the high-grade business strikes. If you want to live and die by your "mintage rarity" scheme of things, be my guest. It's nothing that I find appealing.

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted