I Don't See Any Reasonable Way to Resolve This, But ...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kanga, Jan 27, 2021.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

[NOTE: The image is large so that you can see what I'm talking about.
    Click on the image to expand it.]

[​IMG]

This is a slabbed coin that's now in my collection.
    It's in a PCGS VF-35 slab as purchased.
    The grade is not in question.

Note all the "crud" around the devices.
    I see no way of dealing with that without cracking it out, doing an acetone soak and the having it re-slabbed.
    That would not be cheap.
    And from a few other coins I've seen that WERE conserved that way, the newly exposed areas that were "protected" by the crud looked much less toned.

Have any of you ever tried to deal with that?
    If so, how and what was your final opinion?

capthank and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Nope I have some old large cents in slabs never happened yet and hope it never will when you re-slab it might get a details grade if you are going to slab it again I would suggest ANACS.

4. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

The way I deal with that is to not buy such coins in the first place unless it is a rare die marriage or the like. That doesn't help you, though.

Are you reasonably certain that an acetone soak will remove the dirt and encrustations? If it was mine, I would not be that certain.

What you might explore is talking to PCGS about THEM cracking it out and conserving/cleaning it and then re-slabbing. At least see what they say about it and what it would cost.

This is about an $80 or $90 coin? So, it might not be worth it to you. OTOH, maybe you could sell it or trade it and get one that better suits you.

5. potty dollar 1878

Kind of hijacking this thread but I have a question this coin is kind of having the same issues should I give it this a soak?if it's AU would a soak strip off any remaining luster. 20210125_150433.jpg 20210125_150446.jpg

capthank likes this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, you should probably start a separate thread. Different issues on your coin.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Can I ask You Guys A question ? Why ? Why would you want to clean these coins . Take away years and years of history and you guys want to make it all nice and pretty ? I don't get it . :confused:

bikergeek and capthank like this.
  8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

The issues on the first one may cause problems in the long term, no idea exactly what it is, but, it shouldn't be there, it's not patina or toning. On the reverse of the 2nd one, the green spots, that ain't good at all. it's not so much about cleaning them to make them nice and pretty as it is conserving them from further damage down the road due to them being as dirty as they are.

TypeCoin971793 and micbraun like this.
  9. potty dollar 1878

I figured it was bad but it was the best one i could find only $24 it has strong detail and high grade possibly AU won it on ebay its in much better condition than the other ones I saw.

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

This doesn't look like an acetone fix. There's a combination of removable crud and non-removable corrosion. I'd start by poking it with a stick (cactus spine or rose thorn) under a stereoscope. A light oil might penetrate and soften some of the removable crud to make it easier and more effective. Constantly clean debris from the coin and the stick so that the debris doesn't scratch the coin. This is not a quick job, but then some people will soak coins in olive oil for years. Of course, this all requires you to crack the coin out. If you'd rather not, then the best course of action is to trade up to a nicer one.

11. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

depends what's under the green when you remove it. if it's eaten into the surface it's gonna get details corroded. also even if it didn't eat into the surface, it's likely the toning is going to be unbalance where thats been covering it.

gonna take quite a bit of research on how to remove that with minimal damage or coloration change. I've never tried anything with copper coins, especially old copper to be able to vouch for any particular method. i avoid it for that reason really.
    As I understand it oiling the old copper was an acceptable thing for awhile there, and well, it's just out of my scope in the hobby completely, I leave the old copper to the experts in it. haha

Derrick Combs likes this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The only thing I could see happening is making things worse and more artificial . You might @Insider as he does things like that for a professional living. Jim

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You're not going to get that green on the reverse off, it's at that stage. I got it on my coins, too.

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It looks like a lot of that could be picked off without hurting the coin. Of course you're going to have to hurt the slab to do it.

15. potty dollar 1878

The only thing I'm worried is if green will spread or not yes its a details coin but it's better than most others i have seen.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I think it does spread. I wonder if acetone or some other agent could at least arrest the spread, inoculate it so to speak?

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The green shouldn't spread without moisture and certain ( chemicals) , some gases ,etc. But I will place a bet there is a similar core beneath the surface. Jim

18. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

I like the look of the OP coin as it is. Nice and original. The “crud” doesn’t look like active corrosion to me. Keep it in the slab and enjoy it.

bikergeek likes this.
  19. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

In this particular case, I would resubmit it for conservation and regrade, and not crack it out myself. I think you will have better luck on the regrade, and also might be able to leverage a discount.

20. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

I personally wouldn't touch the coin. I'd leave it as is. As a buyer I would have interest in it's authentic state only. It's a really nice coin. Any restoration at all would Change my opinion and I'd consider it a problem coin.

bikergeek likes this.
  21. robec

robec Junior Member

10 years ago I acquired a 1911 MPL graded by PCGS as PR65BN. The reverse was without any problems, but the obverse had gunk in the letters much like your large cent. I sent the coin to PCGS for spot review, thinking they would take the coin out of the slab and get a good look at the problem.
    [​IMG]
    I took a gamble and sent it to NGC for conservation and grading.

They did a great job restoring the coin. The coin actually received a 1 point upgrade to PR66BN.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted