I don't even think anacs would have graded this straight...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vertigo, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

This is ridiculous IMO. This reverse is way too scratched up to straight grade... the obverse isn't much better. This is graffiti...
    Screenshot_20230205-161701_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20230205-161709_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20230205-161715_eBay.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's too random to be categorized as graffiti. And coins in the lower end of the scale do get some forgiveness for marks and small scratches and stuff.

But yeah, I agree with you, in this particular case. That one probably shouldn't have gotten a straight grade. It certainly wouldn't have if I had been the one who sent it in!

That one there was evidently graded just before closing on a Friday, when everybody was eager to head out the door and start their weekend!

PS- it does have nice original contrasting patina (i.e., "CircCam" contrast). Bet that helped it slide past, somewhat. I don't think it is an unattractive coin, despite the old scratches.

PPS- Oh, yeah- and it's a '61-O. That's a very special and historic date in Seated halves, as you likely know. I wonder if that one was struck under the authority of the US Mint, the state of Louisiana, or the Confederacy. It was an eventful year.

MIGuy, AdamL and Kevin Mader like this.
  4. Vertigo

I get passing one stray mark. And yes the year and time was what it was.

MIGuy likes this.
  5. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

If I purchased this coin sight-unseen and it came like this... well I certainly wouldn't be happy!

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Old scratches can get a pass. Not saying I agree with it.

MIGuy likes this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I would have expected a details holder on this one.

8. UpGrayedd

UpGrayedd Member

I agree with your point that the coin pictured receiving a straight grade is highly questionable. However, I don't think you need to throw ANACS under the bus to make your point. While the market may value ANACS graded coins at a lower level, I think they actually do a pretty good job at grading. I also think that here lately they tend to be on the conservative side.

9. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I agree with this as well. Nothin’ wrong with ‘em.

MIGuy and UpGrayedd like this.
  10. Dimedude2

Dimedude2 Member

What was the grade on this coin?

11. Vertigo

All I'm saying, is some people knock anacs grading. And I'm saying is anacs would not pass this coin. And I don't understand why pcgs did. I feel like this is beyond forgiving a nick or a ding. And I know if I sent this in anywhere it would come back details scratched graffiti or damage. NGC has gotten lax lately too but I'm not sure they would have passed this.

UpGrayedd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted