I don’t know what this is or if it is even authentic.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Cindy Medford, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Cindy Medford

Cindy Medford New Member

what is this and is it authentic? I put a quarter next to it so you can see how large it is.

Attached Files:

ma-shops and Neal like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

It is an Ecu from France, Lille mint. It appears to be real. If you are able to weigh it, that would help in determining if it is authentic. The first test to try is see if a magnet sticks to it, if it does, than it is not real- as the real coin is a silver coin, and would be non-magnetic. (There are many fakes made out of brass or other non-ferrous metals, so it not sticking would still not rule out a counterfeit or copy). If the magnet doesn’t stick, then use a digital scale to get the weight. If the coin weighs right, it should be good. Also if you have access to a caliper, measure the diameter of the coin. Please post back the results, so we can determine if the coin is real.

ma-shops and Stevearino like this.
  4. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

It appears to be overstruck on an earlier ecu from 1696. Many of them were. Here is a general image of the undertype. The image is from a dealer on MA-Shops. combined984.jpg
    I don't know this series well enough to verify authenticity though. Good luck!

ma-shops likes this.
  5. Cindy Medford

Cindy Medford New Member

I will get the information requested and let yall know as soon as I can. I dont think I have access to a caliper, but I may. :) Thank you so much!

Stevearino likes this.
  6. Bayern

Bayern Active Member

Welcome :)

7. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

Nice coin :)
    I really hope it’s authentic. Looks alright to me but there are some good fakes out there.

ma-shops likes this.
  8. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@Cindy Medford, if you don't have access to a caliper almost all 12" rulers have a millimeter scale on one edge. That will give you a ballpark figure.

Steve

9. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

Cindy - you might find this of interest - 3 different, very inexpensive calipers in metal. They also come in plastic and those usually only cost a couple dollars.
    https://www.sciplus.com/s/?q=caliper
    upload_2018-10-31_13-28-22.png

ma-shops likes this.
  10. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I want one of those. Nice real coin

11. ma-shops

ma-shops Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    any results of your research? Very curious about it :nailbiting:
    As @Milesofwho mentioned before, it seems as an overstruck - a similar item you can see here:
    https://www.ma-shops.com/knopik/item.php?id=160620026

Maybe Stefan Knopik can give you more details about your coin - just view the link and go to "Question about this item" and ask him, maybe he can help you (not 100% sure, but it could be a possibility)

Otherwise @Bayern seems to be good into this, just let us know your results, if you could find omething interesting about your found... Have a wonderful weekend,
    Cheers Sarah

Bayern likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted