I could use help identifying

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jtlartgallery, Aug 16, 2020.

1. jtlartgallery

jtlartgallery Active Member

18mm AE I don't know if the reverse is going in the right direction or not. Any help would be appreciated. IMG_3309 (2).JPG IMG_3316 (2).JPG

DonnaML and Marsyas Mike like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Welcome to CoinTalk. I'm afraid I can't help you with this one, except to say it looks interesting.

A suggestion: providing the diameter (in mm) and weight (in grams) is helpful for identification purposes. Also, I am guessing you used a scanner for the images? You might try a digital camera or cellphone - the images tend to turn out a little better.

Good luck!

Co1ns and TIF like this.
  4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

The obverse portrait reminds me of a young Octavian, but I've never seen anything like that reverse before. Am I correct in assuming that the coin is bronze or brass?
    Can you make out any of the letters on the reverse?

Co1ns likes this.
  5. jtlartgallery

Thanks for the responses so far . The coin is 18mm 8 grams bronze I am posting additional pictures that show partial inscriptions. IMG_3333 (2).JPG IMG_3332 (2).JPG

DonnaML, Marsyas Mike and Bing like this.
  6. Marsyas Mike

Hmmm. The new photos and info helps, but I am still stumped. The inscription on the back is definitely Greek - I see delta and omega. That narrows it down to Greek or Roman Provincial (east). Not much of a narrowing-down I'm afraid!

My first thoughts were Thrace/Odessa - but a quick acsearch didn't bring up anything matching. If I knew what that reverse was would help. It is a puzzler.

I'll keep pondering. Hopefully a more experienced CTer will come up with something. Thanks for sharing it - it is an interesting coin.

Co1ns and jtlartgallery like this.
  7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Notice that the Omega is facing outward. That's unusual, and it might help narrow it down. What looks like a V two letters before it is actually and upside-down Lambda.

Marsyas Mike and jtlartgallery like this.
  8. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

whatever it is, it not an authentic ancient coin as the new photos make it even more clear that it is very poorly cast

Orielensis, Ed Snible, Co1ns and 4 others like this.
  9. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

I think it's some kind of weird fantasy coin based on an Athenian owl. I could be completely off base but this was the first thing I saw when I looked at the new pic of the reverse. Note this is rotated about 90 degrees counterclockwise from the orientation in the photo by OP
    owlrev.JPG

10. jtlartgallery

Thank you . I think I overlooked the obvious missing the signs of casting. I also see the owl. I brought lots of unidentified coins of all types years ago and still continue to return to the elusive ones .The internet certainly continues to expand reference material and I greatly enjoy revisiting the hunt for a coin's identity.In this case even as a fake it holds some wonder for me as to how and for what purpose it was made.

Co1ns likes this.
  11. Marsyas Mike

Sorry to hear about the "cast fake" diagnosis.

Whenever something like this turns up, I am puzzled. Cast from what? I wonder. Obviously it is not a fake Athenian tetradrachm - these get faked all the time, but why fake one with a circumferential Greek inscription and a completely wrong obverse? This is so far off from an Athenian tet that I doubt it would pass as a "tourist fake."

Which is to say it is still interesting, and not a typical fake (if that's any comfort). Owls were used a lot in antiquity - an acsearch "owl ae" pulls up 978 hits, with some interesting owls from Kamarina in Sicily that look more like the OP than an Athenian tet.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.ht...s=1&thesaurus=1&order=0&currency=usd&company=

jtlartgallery and PeteB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted