I could not resist the urge.....

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Sep 22, 2018.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Last nite before bedtime, I scrolled on the Heritage Auctions site to look at their "unsold" lots. This coin caught my fancy and I pressed the buy button.
    The coin in question was a AV 8 Escudos 1856-PTS FJ/MJ (Potosi Mint)
    MS-62 27.98g./ 34mm.
    These coins were struck from crude dies and always have flaws.
    The obverse features Simon Bolivar/ reverse Mountain scene/ Llama/ Radiant Sun.:happy: lf (13).jpg lf (14).jpg

Endeavor, NLL, Ed Snible and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I am often concerned about the "unsold lots." My questions are always - what problem is hidden in the pictures that the in-hand viewers saw? Or, why was the reserve so high? Often, it wasn't sold and the buy-it-now price is because of a high starting bid, or a high reserve.

That coin looks really nice in the pictures, I just hope you got a good coin at a good price.

panzerman likes this.
  4. Mkman123

Mkman123 Well-Known Member

where on heritage is the unsold lots feature? I'd like to know!

green18 likes this.
  5. panzerman

Just go to Heritage site, hit "departments" scroll down too "all coins". This will bring up all upcoming auctions, and a gray box with unsold lots. Hit this and you can checkout all unsold US/ World/ Ancients....
    John

Mkman123 and green18 like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I do like that reverse..........62's tend to be 'baggy', but I ain't seeing it........lovely addition, my friend. :)

Mkman123 likes this.
  7. panzerman

I usually research the lot in question with previous auction records. Also with TPG slabbed coins you can compare. This coin in MS-61 sold in Frank Sedwick auction for 5150US. The Lissner coin was MS-63 and sold for 16K, back in 2014. Coin auctions can be funny, I won to my utter surprise a FDC AV 4 Dukaten Ferdinand V 1848-A Vienna Mint for 5250US in Spink Auction last year, that same year a fast stempelglanz (EF/UNC) ex. sold for 16K Euros (Fruhwald) a stempelglanz ex. 1845-A sold for 23K Euros Kunker!!!!! I find you can really pickup great deals.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Canadians speaking German confuse me..... devil.gif

Endeavor and panzerman like this.
  9. panzerman

BUT.....I am a German speaking German/ living in Canada;) Truthfully, I am better with English!

Endeavor and green18 like this.
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I could not resist the urge.....

I just gotta ask - have you ever ? :D

That certainly used to be the case years ago, but in today's world a 62 is typically assigned to a coin that isn't really MS but AU. So when you see a 62 nowadays, you're rarely gonna see bag marks all over it.

Endeavor and panzerman like this.
  11. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Very nice

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted