I committed a darkside taboo!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by randygeki, Feb 7, 2017.

1. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I committed a darkside taboo! With full intention on doing so ^_^

Today I got my first slabbed ancient, and it's probably going to stay slabbed :troll::troll::troll:
    I wanted to own at least one slabbed ancient and was able to get this for $30 shipped. A price that, IMO, represents a fair value of the coin slab or not. It's funny though since I really was buying the plastic and not the coin but paid for the coin not the plastic.

The grade is Ch VF. The seller had an XF (thats a higher grade right?) for a couple bucks more, but this one had way more eye appeal.

IMG_1937 (1).JPG
    Postumus AR Antoninianus. Cologne Mint ? 262-268 AD. Obv.IMP C POSTVMVS P F AVG, radiate draped cuirassed bust r. Rev. MONETA AVG, Moneta standing left holding scales and cornucopia.
    RIC 75.

All that plastic made it had to get a decent pic. It's really nice in hand.

Edit: On a side note, it wasnt the coin I ordered, equally as nice so Im not sure want action to take. edit (again): "Due to quantity serial numbers will differ" I assume that means a Random ch vf postumus

Lets see some more slabbed (now or formerly) acients

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

What makes it a double denarius? Is that the same thing as antoninianus?

I have no slabbed ancients and any that were slabbed are unknown to me.

I think you paid a very fair price for the coin.

Just curious, why did you want a slabbed ancient?

randygeki likes this.
  4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hahaha-- that's a great coin for $30! Dang!! Pretty funny story too.

Given the asking price for the current crop of Postumus/Moneta ants on Vcoins, you found a great bargain!

I don't have enough data in the sample size (yet), but this seems to add fuel to the observation that slabbed coins graded less than AU sell for under market value (and coins graded AU or higher sell for more than they're worth)-- that slabbed ancients are marketed to and primarily bought by collectors of moderns to who view grade as the end-all.

Paul M., Svarog, rrdenarius and 5 others like this.
  6. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

What a buy $30 shipped, it would have cost them that to slab it, fantastic buy I would have done the same.

Curtisimo, Svarog and randygeki like this.
  7. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

My only slabbed ancient:-

Septimius Severus denarius

Obv:– L SEPT SEV PE-RET AVG IMP II, Laureate head right
    Rev:– FORT R-D-EVC, Fortuna seated left holding rudder and cornucopiae
    Minted in Laodicea-ad-Mare. A.D. 194
    Reference:– BMC W Page 108 * var (citing Cohen 168 though Cohen 168 is PERT). RIC 451 var (451 listed for PERT and noted for PERET (RD)). RSC 168 var (PERET for PERT)

[​IMG]

Why anyone bothered to slab it is beyond me.

Curtisimo, dlhill132, zumbly and 13 others like this.
  8. Great pick up for $30. A few, crude, 02:00 photos. I have a few NGC slabs.
    Slabs page 1.png
    slabs page 2.png
    Slabs Page 3.png
    slabs page 4.png

-Michael

9. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I'm definitely happy with it, despite not being what I thought I ordered, but that was my fault for not fully reading the description. My only other slabbed coin is a AU58 1886 Morgan Dollar which I bought for the same reason and got at price that didnt reflect the plastic as well. I'm often asked, like Martin with his denarius, "why would anyone slab that?" :) My local shop would charge me more just to send one in to be graded while still being fair priced.

Heres a good pic, if not for the reflection.
    FullSizeRender.jpg

My other Postumus for about the same price.
    558527_548147718555477_1648710427_n.jpg 100_6155.JPG

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Wonderful coins Michael

11. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I un-slabbed this Valerian Sestertius (my only slabbed purchase so far) because I like to play with my coins:

Foto 3 (6).jpg

Foto 1 (29).jpg

12. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

I have bought several stabbed ancients, I still have most of the coins, but none of the slabs.

randygeki, Orfew, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

That's a cool purchase for the price---and as TIF points out, it seems 'lower grade' slabs go for a bit under market and, like yours, no more than the usual cost when marketed as 'raw' ( your's seems a bargain for less than $50).I find numerous examples of about VF like that offered at Heritage......But then I also have to pay state sales tax so I tend to shy away:eek:;)

randygeki likes this.
  14. JBGood

JBGood Collector of coinage Supporter

Like I said in the thread about "why we collect", this is a psychological disorder where a statement like the one quoted makes perfect sense...to a collector.

randygeki and gregarious like this.
  15. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I could show you a couple hundred moderns in slabs, but so far I have resisted the urge to by a stabbed ancient.

randygeki and Jwt708 like this.
  16. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

gregarious likes this.
  17. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Nice coin.

I originally bought this in a slab. The coin spoke to me & I couldn't walk away from it.
    IMG_5673.jpg
    IMG_5681.jpg

18. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

that was a deal. here's my slabbed ones. i sent these off to have them authenticated (the NGC's) along with an otho and marc ant. coins that turned out to be counterfeit. highly important coins to me or have doubts on i send slabbed coins 001.JPG slabbed coins 002.JPG slabbed coins 003.JPG

Curtisimo, dlhill132, Paul M. and 9 others like this.
  19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

That's a nice coin RG, 30 bucks...yup, I'd buy that as well. I don't really care if the coin I buy is in a slab or not very much (other than the slight annoyance of having to remove it from the slab). I have bid on a few slabbed coins, but have never purchased one.

20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great find, Randy. The coin itself is worth more then that. Great portrait too.

My slabbed ancients all have been freed.

21. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Um...why?

Draft saved Draft deleted