I cherried, I mean, bought a Half Dime from a member here…

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Omegaraptor, May 15, 2022.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Right... in Louisiana the half dime circulated alongside the half real. They were interchangeable in value in local commerce, while the half real had $0.0625 worth of silver in it, as opposed to the half dime's $0.05. As a result the former was hoarded for its metal content, while the half dimes endured very heavy circulation and saw melting in 1853 when the silver content of the coin went down.

Particularly true of the 1840-O, 1842-O, 1844-O, and 1849-O due to their low mintages.

Don't tell anyone... but the 1852-O is just as tough to come by as the aforementioned dates but sells for much less.

Mainebill likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Absolutely and all really tough in higher grade. (This girl a long time member of the lscc by the way)

Paddy54 and Omegaraptor like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Find me that 1852 o as its another white Whale for me...as well the 1858 rpd's inverted dates.

I just came in from our community yard sale...I got a pm from Mike aka "Tough coins" who now I hate him lol... not actually...wait to you see what her found! I will wait til he post in main...I will say the specimen he found Ive never seen 1 in a grade that high! For the most part they are details trash condition.

5. Omegaraptor

BCA368F4-5B3F-403E-8836-6BE1B4F8E8F5.jpeg 33E92622-FC62-4F27-BED9-B9E9C8334D48.jpeg

Mine isn’t overly nice, but hey, I have one. Might want to upgrade at some point.

6. Paddy54

7. Omegaraptor

Looks like mine is the more common V-1… date is level throughout. V-2 has a downsloping date. V-1 has the left side of the base of the 1 level to the left side of the space between denticles, V-2 has it just to the right side. The V-2 wasn’t discovered until fairly recently I think.

8. Paddy54

Correct I wanted you to enjoy the fun of figuring it out.

Omegaraptor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted