I cant keep them to myself any longer.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by treylxapi47, May 21, 2015.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

As Bob knows, the 1860 has a lot of hot spots in the photo. A black background does not suit these coins very well in my estimation. Perhaps a grey, or even white, but the black amplifies the many many blacks and grays seen in the coins, which heightens the high contrasts in the coins, makes them more "harsh" than what they naturally are. You did not mention the resolution, can you "blow" them up? Can you see INTO all the tiny scratches, with still a razor sharpness along the edges of the gouges or scratches? Can you make 16 x 24 inch framed wall hangings of them? If he is charging you for these, I would shop around more. (I know I am critical here, too critical in the eyes of some) but I have spent years shooting color images. Bob, has displayed better photographic talents (his recent posting of his registry cent collection http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/publishedset.aspx?s=30892 for example [or are these pics via PCGS ??], and notice the background colors of those), but these are not at that level. Some of my coins images can be seen at USACoinbook.com, but they are very low resolution, fit for the internet sales sites only, not good examples of great coin photography.
    Seriously, though your coins should exude a WARM metallic glow, you should see the metal's texture much better, these samples you uploaded are rather harsh. Don't you agree?
    PS -- These are Bob's better shots, http://www.robecsimages.com/index.html
    and copper, brass coins do fine with black behind, but silver or gray, again I would go with grey, white, or even a soft blue.
    GSDykes

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Hi-res images will be on a disk with the coins return.

I agree with some of your points, but I usually don't criticize the help I've received and for the bargain that these were done under.

I am perfectly happy to have them as is and the images are MUCH better than my crapy cell phone pictures.

I do have plans to have them all transferred over to a coinboard like Winged Liberty's sets, but that's not really an option with only 5 out of the 25 that I own.

Like my thread title suggests, I was just too dang excited to finally share these with some better quality photographs.

Thank you for your input though, there are some things that make a lot of sense in what you said.

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Super looking coins. Easily out of my price range though, especially the 1876 CC, don't know which one I like best but it would be between the two 1876 coins. Super. dblthumb2.gif

5. WingedLiberty

WingedLiberty Well-Known Member

Great coins and images!!! Love them.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  6. treylxapi47

That 76-CC is actually quite affordable. I purchased that coin for like $400 or so. I have one in MS-62 that was about $800.

It's probably one of the cooler CC coins that you can get for that price range. I'd much rather have the common quarter over the common Morgan CCs.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Agreed! tmoney.gif

treylxapi47 likes this.
  8. treylxapi47

Ok, heres the next set of updates from Bob, after this we should be about half-way through the collection so far.

1854_NGC_AU58.jpg Trey_1857SLQ_MS62.jpg Trey_1858oSLQ_VF25.jpg Trey_1876ccSLQ_AU50.jpg

Jaelus, rev1774, mark_h and 3 others like this.
  9. treylxapi47

And my Proof-Like 1876-S, although the professional opinion is that this coin has at the very least been polished.

Im no expert and I like the coin anyway, so I am not upset, but I do have my eyes open for another specimen just in case. She was my first Seated Quarter and what got me started/addicted.

Trey_1876sSLQ2_MS61PL.jpg

Trey_1876sSLQ1_MS61PL.jpg

Jaelus, rev1774, mark_h and 4 others like this.
  10. Paul_62

Paul_62 Just takin' it one day at a time

Stunning coins and outstanding photos

11. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

12. treylxapi47

Here is the last one from batch #2, just a common date, but I liked the look and the price for now.

Trey 1858.jpg

Jaelus and mark_h like this.
  13. treylxapi47

Here are the next 5 that Bob has completed for me:

First up is an S/S Twenty Cent piece
    Trey_1875ss20_AU55.jpg

1845 AU-55
    Trey_1845SLQ_AU55.jpg

Low Grade 1857-O, but the price was too good to pass up and the surfaces look pretty decent.
    Trey_1835oSLQ_VF35.jpg

My MS-62 1876-CC

Trey_1876ccSLQ_MS62.jpg

And finally a show pickup from the Raleigh Money Expo a few weeks ago.

Common enough date, but the overall look of the coin was nice and the price was acceptable, so into the hoard she goes for now.

Trey_1877SLQ_AU50.jpg

Jaelus, mark_h and Keyman64 like this.
  14. Keyman64

Keyman64 Well-Known Member

Congrats! Bob does a great job with his photos! That 1861 is fantastic. Really cool. Like that 1845 too! :)

15. treylxapi47

Here are some more photos of my seated quarter collection being photographed by @robec

1846-P AU-55
    Trey_1846SLQ_AU55.jpg

1847-P DDR AU-Details (Bummer NGC)
    Trey_1847SLQ_DDRau.jpg

1856-O AU-50
    Trey_1856oSLQ_AU50.jpg

1858-O AU-53 (Upgrade from my VF-25 CAC'ed example) (Both specimens purchased from Mike @ToughCOINS )
    Trey_1858oSLQ_AU53.jpg

1858-P AU-58 (Upgrade from my AU-50 example above)
    Trey_1858SLQ_AU58.jpg

16. treylxapi47

And a few more

1874-S AU-55 (two shots)
    Trey_1874sSLQ_AU55_O2R2.jpg
    Trey_1874sSLQ_AU55_O3R4.jpg

And the crème de la crème of my quarter collection (also two shots)

1870 Judd 885 PR-64 RB
    Trey_1870SLQj885_PR64RB_o6r6.jpg
    Trey_1870SLQj885_PR64RB_o4r3.jpg

Here is the proof pattern copper quarter you asked me to show you @PatternCollector

Jaelus, KSorbo, green18 and 5 others like this.
  17. treylxapi47

Im also gonna call @Mainebill to this thread, cause I know how much he likes a decent seated quarter :pompous:

Mainebill likes this.
  18. WLH22

WLH22 Well-Known Member

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  19. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@treylxapi47 , nice collection. I'm becoming more fond of pattern coins myself.

20. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

You have some really nice coins in your set. I like looking at nice coins.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  21. treylxapi47

Thank you very much!

Draft saved Draft deleted