I can't get rolls through my bank(s)

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by E Pluribus Unum, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

One of my Banks, Comerica don't deal in halves. Ask, they don't have any. Order .. nope. NO Halves, at least the couple I've asked in.

One of my Credit Unions .. no problem.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

The OP asked for ideas. I’m just giving him some ideas if he doesn’t like them oh well but unless you have Ideas or suggestions instead of criticism and stories jump off of this tread please.
    Reed.

4. 352sdeer

When I was Nine my Mom got me an account at the bank. She set it up so I could get two rolls of Cents a week. If she hadn’t I couldn’t get rolls way back then so this isn’t a new problem. What I learned from that event back in 1970 was this. Always go to the top when you run into a problem.
    Have you talked to the actual Manager? Not an Assistant Manager but THE Manager. Explain your case, tell him/her your not a get rich roll hunter and assure that person you’ll be polite and wait and not dump on a daily basis (tellers hate this the VERY MOST about roll hunters) try it if you haven’t it worked for me last time I got a new box bank about 9 months ago.
    Hope this helps
    Reed

5. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

Reed, I appreciate your suggestion. I am a little leery about asking a teller to speak to THE manager. Doing that might give the impression that I need to discuss an important financial matter. Coin collecting is not on the manager's list of important financial matters. I would rather speak with a banker. I think they would be better suited to accommodate my needs.

You mentioned the last time you scored a new box was 9 months ago. Did it take that much time to get the box? Or do you roll hunt on occasion? My plan was to get rolls regularly once a month.

6. 352sdeer

No I got another bank to get rolls from. I opened another account and set it up so I don’t have problems when I do need boxes. Last boxes I bought was 3 months ago and I got them from 3 different banks. I’ve since processed most of those and am now starting on a tasty 5500 count bag of Memorial copper, YUM!
    image.jpg

7. pghpanthers2

pghpanthers2 Resurgent Collector

A couple years ago before I bought my first house, I had the down payment just sitting in my savings account. Right, wrong, or indifferent, my bank treated me differently when my savings was higher than it is today. I used to walk right up to the business teller and get boxes of whatever I wanted. They still don’t say no, but it’s a much different discussion. It also helps to go to bigger branches that deal with businesses instead of smaller branches in the suburbs.

E Pluribus Unum likes this.
  8. E Pluribus Unum

Holy smokes! That's a lot of pennies! Do you inspect them carefully for errors or just pull out the wheat cents?

Last spring, I found a bag full of Lincoln Memorial cents that my dad had tucked away. I didn't think much of it since they were Lincoln Memorial cents. I decided to transfer them into rolls when I noticed that pennies were dated 1968 and earlier. So I have hundreds of these Lincoln Memorials - most of which are bright red and lustrous. Moreover, when I first started collecting (via roll searching) as a child in the late 1970's, I never returned any of the pennies that I got from the bank. I kept them in shoe boxes. So, I started looking through those and I found hundreds of red lustrous beauties mostly from 1971 and 1977. Finding red lustrous Lincoln Memorial cents from the 60' and 70's is getting harder and harder. When I get some time, I want to go through them and learn how to identify errors. I am fortunate to have plenty of beautiful specimens to examine. A great chance to gain valuable experience. As mentioned here on CoinTalk a plethora of times, experience is the basis of learning.

9. E Pluribus Unum

At one point, I had accounts at different banks. The employees at one of the banks were very snobby - did not engage in small talk. When I closed my accounts at the other banks and transferred my funds to this bank, the employees became very "kind" - now they were eager to start chatting up small talk when I entered the bank. It's all fake. Banks could care less about you, it's your money that they want.

Looking at the past, I believe it's true that the bigger branches are the ones where I was able to get coin rolls. These new McDonald banks with a drive through and a single teller are the ones that tell me they have no rolls.

Other than banks, are there other sources for coin rolls?

Attached Files:

pghpanthers2 likes this.
  10. George Brinton

George Brinton New Member

I've wondered what to do with rolls once I had got them.
    It seemed awkward to re-roll them as the bank might "have to trust" my counting and packing...
    Oh, I worry about the lack of clarity!

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Most banks won't take rolls, as you can't trust the count. I've worked several retail jobs and the rolls are always short, or have some Canadian coins mixed in.
    If the bank counts them and credits your account, you get shorted. And there's no recourse. Most of them have a Coin Star type machine that you put your change in and bring the slip to the teller. Because they don't waste their time rolling coins anymore.
    All of this buying boxes and dumping coins are costing them money and it's going to end abruptly. You'll need to have a business account, and or, pay a fee to get coins.
    If you have to pay $27 for a $25 box of cents, it sort of defeats the purpose.

12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I assume many are not worried about the time factor of searching through coin rolls. The biggest draw was for silver, but that period seemed to end long ago. Then it was cent rolls for all of the costly doubled dies and 'errors' as touted in get rich quick books and youtube. Most of the cent rolls today are modern single squeeze mechanical doubling and when after a lot of time one that some recognize as a DD can be found , but it usually limits out under $5, so does it really pay? If you get a full bag of 1968-72 cents, it would be more worth the expense and time in the long run, but you will have to pay for such. Like most money making schemes, they have a short shelf life.
    Jim

13. E Pluribus Unum

I put my pocket change in plastic coin tubes - one for each denomination. When a tube gets full, I transfer the coins to a paper roll. My bank accepts my rolls, but I submit a small quantity and only about once per year.

I want half dollar rolls. I keep them all - even the clads. So, I am not dumping rolls back to the bank. I also was considering getting 10 rolls once per month which I believe is reasonable.

I agree. There is a point where constant dumping of coins is abusing your privileges. From a bank's point of view, why should they pay for someone's hobby. Yesterday, I went to deposit a check into my mom's bank. In the past I asked for rolls there, but the tellers would not give out rolls. So, I stopped pestering the tellers for rolls. But while I was at the bank yesterday, I asked the teller, "Why don't you provide rolls?" He replied, "We had a problem with coin collectors..." I was surprised at his reply. Maybe he was trying to give me the hint. Even so, it goes to show that some coin collectors are abusing the system to the point that the bank is no longer providing rolls.

14. E Pluribus Unum

I got very lucky one time. Over ten years ago, I decided to stop by the bank to get some half dollars for a friendly poker game. I could see silver halves when the teller opened her drawer. I asked if she had anymore of "those kind" of half dollars. I walked out with 16 rolls of silver-clad halves. I doubt that will happen again. It's was surprising that the teller didn't know that "those type" of half dollars were silver.

Now, I am hoping to find a silver half in a roll, but that is really not my intention. For the most part, I enjoy hoarding halves - even the clad ones. The same goes for Ike dollars, but those are nearly impossible to find. I miss the large US coins.

John77 likes this.
  15. Raindog

Raindog New Member

Actually, they could NOT care less about you.

Draft saved Draft deleted