I Can't Believe I Found it on eBay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jaelus, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Buying raw coins on eBay gets a bad rap sometimes, but on occasion you can find a real diamond in the rough.

If you've ever found an extreme rarity on eBay raw, please share it here.

To get us started, here are some of my top raw eBay finds over the last few years:

1867A Franz Joseph I. Hungarian Coronation 1 3/4 Ducat

While examples in the 1 ducat size come up for auction several times a year, this is an extreme rarity in the 1 3/4 ducat size that only appears at auction perhaps once every several years, and commands a very high premium in any condition. I picked this up for not much over spot.

w9cjVwYkRcu5iWgVsLXt_obv.jpg

1867A Empress Elisabeth Silver Hungarian Coronation Jeton
    Mule Mont. 2714 (Hungarian legends)/2716 (Latin legends)
    NGC MS62

A possibly unique coronation jeton of Empress Elisabeth. There were previously no documented mules for any of the 36 types in this coronation series until I discovered this unusual example on eBay.

BjlhOtmBRd2jjriGazfg_obv.JPG

Hungary 1868 4 Krajczár
    KM-442 (1868)

Obverse Trial in Tin

This is an obverse tin trial of the 4 kr. copper coin from the mint archive book at Gyulafehervar. Significant differences between the obverse die used for this trial and all other known obverse dies for this type, make this likely a unique trial of an unused obverse die for the GYF pattern version of this coin.

4ngCIZkGR6uOlmNdl2gf_x3020001 - Copy.jpg

Hungary 1892KB AR Korona
    KM-484 (1892-1906)
    NGC MS65+ (top)
    and
    NGC MS65 (bottom)

Imagine my surprise when I picked up not one but a pair of the finest-known examples of the 1892 Hungarian korona (key date: mintage of 15,000). The MS65 has a typical matte finish, but the MS65+ is semi-prooflike, leading me to believe that they had originally been collected as a pair for the differing finishes.

pBtdNl4R3uwctTyFLUpm_1K_1892KB_obv2.jpg
    bCPtvAozSaK1EiuhH922_1K_1892KB_obv1.jpg

Hungary 1913KB AR Korona
    KM-492 (1912-1916)
    NGC MS63

The 1913KB korona is one of the big keys in Franz Joseph coinage, with a mintage of only 5,214. I had been following European auction houses for years looking for an attractive problem-free uncirculated example, and then this gorgeous example popped up on eBay.

5d3hgJrTTsqDdGP5uFUM_s-l1600.jpg

Hungary 1922 Nickel 5 Korona
    Pattern KE5 (1922)
    NGC MS65

This pattern was made during the transition years of 1920-1922 right after the end of Hapsburg rule. This example is of the earliest version of this pattern, before the designer's initials had been added beneath the shield on the obverse. The pictures on the auction were not the best but I took a chance due to the rarity and was extremely pleased with the condition.

DVko8DPSOWXxLJxBrRTg_obv.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rheingold

Rheingold Well-Known Member

A lot of big scores....Congs....:woot:
    The two silver koronas are my favourite.

4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like these also. I have several of the large, heavy 5 Korona silver ones. That guy's got a heck of a mustache , doesn't he?
    Isn't that Franz Josef , the guy who was assassinated , starting WW I ?

5. CHARLES GINETTO

CHARLES GINETTO Active Member

No, the Archduke Francis Ferdinand's assassination started WW I.

okbustchaser likes this.
  6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Even though I know nothing about foreign coins, I appreciate your dogged pursuit of the right coins Jason. Very big likes from ToughCOINS.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Jaelus likes this.
  7. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

That was Franz Ferdinand, who was Franz Joseph's nephew and heir to the throne. Franz Joseph had an interesting and tragic life, including his nephews assassination, his brother Maximilian's execution in Mexico, his sons suicide or possible killing, his wife was stabbed to death, and the final fall of the Hapsburg empire.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Hookman and Jaelus like this.
  8. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I don't know anything about your coins - but I admire the amount of time, effort, and study you've put into these! This is why specializing in something can reap you huge rewards.

Jaelus and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

That is a perfect example of why knowledge is so important to the hobby. Great finds, congratulations Jaelus.

Jaelus likes this.
  10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Thanks for all the comments. I would like others to share their big raw eBay finds as well though!

My point here, as a few people also mentioned above, is that with knowledge you can get some affordable huge scores on eBay.

All of the above coins were highly significant for my collection and yet were ones I was shocked to have found raw on eBay. I've also made many good reputable dealer contacts through eBay that I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Hookman likes this.
  11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

It's nowhere in the same league as yours but I remember when I was just starting to seriously buy coins and was trying to assemble a set of Mexican coins, I found a lot of the bronze 5 centavos listed at auction, and it included the 1942, which has a mintage of 900,000 and a book value of $25 in VF. I got the whole lot for like $6, so I got the rare one and a bunch of others too. I remember the seller even made a comment that I got a great deal.

Hookman and Jaelus like this.
  12. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I think this attests to your knowledge as much as anything. A very impressive amount of it shown here. I'm trying to get that way with my Aussie coins.

Jaelus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted