I can not find a clue.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by wmichael, Jul 1, 2015.

1. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

This is the 1st. ancient coin I ever bought. It was at a gun show in Austin Texas 15 years ago. It was the perfect "Ancient Coin" to me. A bust on one side, a God on the other, and encrusted to perfection. However, I can't find a single letter on it to help me ID. I'm surprised Wild Winds didn't charge me rent. This coin is wonderful in the hand, but will not photograph for flip! (Not for me anyway) I bet John knows it on sight. DSC00018.JPG DSC00021.JPG

stevex6 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I'm not good with ancients but I think something looks "off" on it, the the details are not as sharp as they should be.

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Impossible for me to say with any certainty----but it appears to be a very late LRB...Can you help with any size and weight or scale comparisons??

I think John will know it almost on sight since it has that peculiar legend of illegible lettering---imitation of latin by illiterate engravers?? I suspect it is 'provincial' and in JA's geographical area of interest....

The portrait looks 'bearded' ---but maybe not LOL

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I can't be certain, but I think your coin is genuine and it reminds me of coins of
    Greece/Seleucid; Antiochus IV Epiphanes BCE 175-164:
    Ant_IV_Apamea_pros_toi_Axioi.jpg

Gil-galad and stevex6 like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I do not collect these (I should since I like them), so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I think your coin may be:
    BMC_75.jpg
    BMC 75 Antiochus IV, Antioch at Kallirhoe (Edessa), AE20. Radiate bust right in filleted circle / ANTIOXEWN TWN EPI KALLIROHI to left and right of Zeus standing left, holding eagle and sceptre, monogram (possibly G-A) in right field. SNG Spaer 1190, Babelon 609-11, BMC 75.

7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I agree. First thought Seleucid, second thought looks absolutely genuine. I agree JA probably knows this one on sight.

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

what med said. :)

9. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

Mikey, I got the calipers out, and forgot to us them! 16.4 X 17.5 mm. My scale is due tomorrow.

10. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I think Bing and the others have probably pinned it down----Greek/Seleucid, Antiochus....

11. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

I think all most all the details are under a layer of crust, which is one of the reasons it has such eye ap. in myn hand. And I've only had a camera for a week.

coinman1234 likes this.
  12. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

Thanks again folks. A point to add to your belief, I went back to next day and got 6 more from his cigar box, and 4 of those were Greek/Seleucid for sure.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

I found a match for the Ob. on Wildwinds under Antiochus IV as SNGLev 1299, but the Rev. is very different. "The games afoot!"

14. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

Who ever added the glasses to my title line, LOL. You don't know how true. In point of fact, I purchased 1. a 3" glass, 2. a 10X folding loop, 3. a B&L 5X eye loop, 4. a pair of the "watch repair" glasses and still could not see any letter thru the crust. This was one at a time, too.

stevex6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted