I & C in Monticello

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Makanudo, May 19, 2016.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

I was sorting some new coins and I noticed that I looks funny, having like 2 peaks top and bottom. Also C next to it looks kind of funny. Is this normal, or could it be a fake coin. It doesnt feel fake.
    Thanks.

SAM_2183.JPG SAM_2184.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Just damage after it was minted, from circulation - PMD

Insider likes this.
  4. Makanudo

Doesnt look like damage under the loupe.

5. Markus1959

Then how bout a picture "under the loupe" ?

jester3681 likes this.
  6. Makanudo

How do I do that?

7. Markus1959

set the loupe up over the coin so the view through it of the I is clear then take a picture through the loupe.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Contemplate what those letters look like on the die. They're negatives - holes. Planchet metal fills those holes to become letters. It stands to reason that there's very little explanation for something which could selectively fill those holes to create this look on a struck coin, especially in two different places on a perfect line. The inevitable conclusion, something you'll come to with experience, is that it's 1000-1 against anything but postmint damage.

Insider and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. Makanudo

It will be blurry . I dont have a stativ

10. Makanudo

Since its on adjascent letters, post mint damage makes sense.

Insider likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Take your camera on you phone, put the loupe right in front of it, move it to the coin until it's a clear shot, and then take the shot.

12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It's honestly too hard to tell from the photos but I think the M in the same word is an indicator that it's not a mint made error.

13. Makanudo

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

15. Makanudo

Ok.

SAM_2193.JPG

When I elarge the photo, there seem to be PMD under 15 degree angle on T, I & C

16. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Congratulations! You have now successfully identified PMD on this coin. It helps to look at the entire coin as well as the area in question. When you see a coin with this much destruction, scrapes, cuts, abrasions, no steps on this nickel you can only come to one conclusion-Post Mint Damage.

Also, if you look closely at the "T, I and C" you can see where the metal was push towards the bottom of the scrape. It appears on all 3 letters on your coin. Easily seen in the photo, more easily visible in hand with your loupe. A good learning experience on this one. :)

Makanudo likes this.
  17. Makanudo

Thank you.
    I hope I am learning.
    Please enlarge the last letter in monticello and tell me if it doesnt look wierd!?
    Thanks
    @ Collecting Nut

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks normal to me, for the beating it's taken. Yes, you're learning. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted