I bought this PCGS MS63 1907-O half with CAC.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dancing Fire, May 30, 2015.

1. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I'm ok with calling this coin 63 mark wise + it does have nice eye appealing luster, but very weak details on both side of the coin + there are grainy bubbles on the nose and from the forehead down to the chin on its field. CAC also agree with the 63 grade.

Do you agree with the 63 grade?

Attached Files:

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

No, I think it should have got a 62, the marks on the obverse are on the main focal points of the coin. Unless the price was way well below wholesale, I would have passed on it. Those coins are tough to sell when you do want to sell it.

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The rubber band stains kill it for me. Not seeing the coin in hand, I can't see what PCGS or CAC saw in it, for better or for worse. In hand, it may be a perfectly acceptable 63 (although I can't get past the stripes). It's not like it was graded 66.

swamp yankee and Seattlite86 like this.
  5. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

I agree with Messy ... unless it was WELL below book I would have kept on walking.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This is the perfect example of why I won't buy sticker coins . I have to agree with the last two post.

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

63 is a tough grade , you really have to see them in hand to judge as they can have super nice strike and eye appeal . On the other hand they can be dogs . I don't think this one is a dog and would want to see it in hand , but just going by the pics I'd of passed as they aren't cheap . It also appears to have a weak strike on the reverse . Can you return it , or is it nicer in hand ?
    If I had to keep it I'd probably dip it to remove those rubber band marks . One thing about CAC , they sticker some low eye appeal coins .

712 and mark_h like this.
  8. messydesk

The problem is, rubber band marks don't dip out.

swamp yankee and rzage like this.
  9. rzage

Thanks , could have ruined a coin in trying . But then I probably never would have bought one with it .

712 likes this.
  10. messydesk

Who knows? You might have been tempted by a price and the thought that you could easily dip them off.

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. Dancing Fire

IRL the coin does have nice lusters, and yes, I have had seen some very dark CAC coins..:eek:

rzage likes this.
  12. Dancing Fire

Greysheet bid is $835 and I paid $850 - $85 in Ebay bucks, so I'm in the coins at $765.

13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Sorry, but for that much money, I would've bought one without that mark on it. It's probably a 63 but I grade it 62 because of the distracting marks.

swamp yankee likes this.
  14. rzage

I already learned my lesson on a AT Trade Dollar that though is still nice and has some cartwheel , has small hairlines all over that were hid by the AT surface . So I won't buy coins that just need a dip as I'm not into Blast white anymore anyways . But it is good to know , so I can at least tell others .

swamp yankee and Seattlite86 like this.
  15. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

No that's Fuzzy Math you're into it for $850! Not trying to be sarcastic but you paid $850 for it. So unless you can flip it for $850 or more the value you gave is the same.

16. Dancing Fire

The good/bad news? .. the sight unseen bid on the coin is $760

swamp yankee likes this.
  17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

strange, the flatness at the lips bothers me the most

Paddy54 likes this.
  18. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

Could rubber band marks darken within the holder? I'm not sure how the chemistry on that works. Perhaps when it was slabbed it was better since that is a somewhat older PCGS slab. Then again, CAC still beaned it.

swamp yankee likes this.
  19. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I don't like it, bit yes it looks like a 63 to me.

20. rzage

Dang Frank , I didn't even notice that as the other things drew my attention from it . But now that you say it it bothers me too . Any ideas as to cause on a MS coin ?

21. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Strike.

Draft saved Draft deleted