I bought some mint sets for the boy to put away

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Oct 18, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

I went ahead and bought some mint sets. 1974, 93 ,89,2019 and a few others. I got 2 of most(one for me and one to put away for him).

I have a question. Im leaving his in the little pack it came it. If I remove any from mine, does it kill any potential value down the road? Reason I ask is its hard to photograph and look at them correctly through the plastic.

In the 1974 pack (man are the pennies a beautiful Red color) I noticed that the nickel was really yellow looking compared to the others and also the Kennedy looks like the DDO for the 1974D mint. I'll post the nickel in another thread for opinions. I assume its just age or whatever. However, below is the Kennedy. I cant find a die marker online to match up but the doubling looks very close if not spot on in some places. Again, sorry for the pics....through plastic it was a challenge to get these.

IMG_7222.jpg IMG_7223.jpg IMG_7218.jpg Snapshot000007.jpg Snapshot000008.jpg Snapshot000010.jpg Snapshot000011.jpg Snapshot000012.jpg Snapshot000013.jpg Snapshot000014.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MatrixMP-9

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nice doubling on the Kennedy.

Chris

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Nice find. Looks like a winner, IMO.

6. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

You can see the notching on some of the letters, so like Thom and 9ball , I declare it Real !

Nice find. Keep them as protected as you can. I would say DO NOT remove them from the packaging, but ask Thom and 9ball what they suggest.

7. MatrixMP-9

WOW! How exciting! Just to share for fun, I paid $8.29 for this set of 13 coins. Even came in an envelope marked "US MINT 1974 uncirculated coin". I dont ever buy coins but this was pretty fun. I looked on Ebay and the DDO from the mint set doesnt sell for much. However, in this condition, maybe its a little more. The boy has 18 years until hes 18 so might gain some value and he can decide what to do with it!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  8. MatrixMP-9

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

10. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

This is called fishing. Go to Sold ebay listings to see what they really sell for. Less than 1/10 what he is asking.
    Grading and attribution fees will eat up any profit.

MatrixMP-9 likes this.
  11. MatrixMP-9

That makes sense Finn. If I can pull this from a mint set....and someone was willing to sell it for less than $10...common sense tells me probably not worth almost a grand.

Draft saved Draft deleted